Bank account needed - in NI

Options
Posting on NI board because the options are different in NI to the rest of the UK.

Are there any banks or building societies where a 14-year-old can get an account with a debit-card (i.e. not just a cash-card)? Interest doesn't matter - his savings will be elsewhere - but on-line banking would be good.

Comments

• CL
    CL Posts: 1,537 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
  • blueberrypie
    blueberrypie Posts: 2,395 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you, CL - that fits all the criteria, and there's even a NB branch in town. I did try trawling through the websites of various banks/building societies, but wasn't getting very far, so your reply has been very useful :-)
  • DesG
    DesG Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    My 11 year old has a Halifax account which comes with an electron card and online banking. Seems quite good and they are open on Saturday which is important.

Cheers, Des.
  • blueberrypie
    Options
    DesG wrote: »
    My 11 year old has a Halifax account which comes with an electron card and online banking. Seems quite good and they are open on Saturday which is important.

Cheers, Des.

Thanks, Des. Looking at the Halifax site, it looks like he could only use that card in Halifax cash-machines though, which would be a problem as there isn't one close to us, whereas the Northern Bank one allows use of any bank's cash-machine without charge. Saturday opening doesn't matter though, as we home-educate, so he can easily get to the Northern Bank during the week.
  • blueberrypie
    Options
    BigAl94 wrote: »

Looks like the internet banking is only available to over-16s though. I think the Northern offer is probably the best for his needs - thanks to all who replied though :-)
  • blueberrypie
    Options
    Or possibly not the Northern - at least not our local one - having spoken to the person our appointment was with, I can't say I'm at all impressed by her attitude! Might go off and open the account with a different branch instead.
  • DesG
    Options
    Thanks, Des. Looking at the Halifax site, it looks like he could only use that card in Halifax cash-machines though, which would be a problem as there isn't one close to us, whereas the Northern Bank one allows use of any bank's cash-machine without charge. Saturday opening doesn't matter though, as we home-educate, so he can easily get to the Northern Bank during the week.

You can use the card at LINK machines also, it is not just Halifax/RBS machines.

From the expresscash T&C's: Your own Expresscash card and PIN to use at any Halifax or other LINK cash machine. You’ll be able to
    withdraw up to £300 of your cash a day and there’ll be
    no Halifax charge. (Cash withdrawals over £300 can be
    made over the counter.

https://www.halifax.co.uk/Expresscash/pdf/HalifaxExTandC.pdf

Cheers, Des.
  • blueberrypie
    Options
    DesG wrote: »
    You can use the card at LINK machines also, it is not just Halifax/RBS machines.

From the expresscash T&C's: Your own Expresscash card and PIN to use at any Halifax or other LINK cash machine. You’ll be able to
    withdraw up to £300 of your cash a day and there’ll be
    no Halifax charge. (Cash withdrawals over £300 can be
    made over the counter.

https://www.halifax.co.uk/Expresscash/pdf/HalifaxExTandC.pdf

Cheers, Des.

It would probably be a good idea for them to write that on the website, instead of saying "You can withdraw up to £300 a day free of charge at Halifax or Bank of Scotland cash machines"!

We'll be in a shopping centre today where there's both a Halifax and a Northern Bank. I'll take the documents with me; if one of those will let us open the account today instead of making an appointment and coming back - they win! ;-)
  • DesG
    Options
    It would probably be a good idea for them to write that on the website, instead of saying "You can withdraw up to £300 a day free of charge at Halifax or Bank of Scotland cash machines"!

We'll be in a shopping centre today where there's both a Halifax and a Northern Bank. I'll take the documents with me; if one of those will let us open the account today instead of making an appointment and coming back - they win! ;-)

It would be a good idea to rephrase that bit indeed!

We dropped in to the Halifax one Saturday (I think) and they allowed us to open the account on the spot. Needed ID from me as well as my 11 yr old.

Can't wait to find out who wins :)

Cheers, Des.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family