Can my employer reduce my hours

Options
13»

Comments

• Mrsalice
    Mrsalice Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah, my friend was in a similar position. She was employed on a probationary period somewhere and they dismissed her after 3 weeks for 'eating at her desk' but she found out it was actually because they didn't have enough hours to give her. She saw the free solicitor and he said she had absolutely no rights at all and a tribunal wouldn't be interested as she was on probationary, and even if she had completed that period of time under 12 months employment they only take on exceptional cases.
    The newbie is on the same job position and wages as me, but a bigger contract!! He said they need a new person to get the head count that head office want correct. We have been working with the same number of people for about 7 months though!
    It's really annoyed me, I do so much overtime and cover sickness and holiday, boost our sales and have been employee of the week for months.
    We're having another meeting this week and he says he's going to look up legal stuff to prove to me he can take my contract hours and he's not giving them to her. Although I'll still refuse because I still think its effectively giving her my hours.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well - dont forget to refresh your memory with that article I mentioned in post 2 of this thread before that meeting.

Thinking - you know not to do him any favours in future in providing cover - even if he doesnt succeed in cutting your hours.

Good luck.
  • Mrsalice
    Mrsalice Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, I had a look on the link you posted but couldn't see anything that really helped. I'll have another look after work tonight incase I missed it. (just reread it-it helps in as much as saying employers CAN do these things etc, take your hours. pay cuts...my problem is because there is a new employee on probationary. If there wasn't a newbie I know I would HAVE to lose 15% of my contract)
    Another thing that concerns me is, I haven't signed or agreed to a change or contract hours yet, that is why we're having another meeting in the week. But the rota's for not this week coming, but the week after starting the 16th and onwards, my 'new' contract hours are in place. Surely they can't do this until an agreement and signing has taken place??
  • nickyorca
    Options
    Please help! My manager has reduced my working hours without informing me. I was hired as a full time employee and I was told I would get a minimum of 36 hours a week but this week I am working 15 hours, he gave me a weeks holdiday instead of a weekend, so I have effectively only worked 30 hours in the past three weeks, and I don't think I'm even getting paid for that week. I'm only twenty and I don't want to be messed around - anyone have any advice for me?
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    nickyorca wrote: »
    Please help! My manager has reduced my working hours without informing me. I was hired as a full time employee and I was told I would get a minimum of 36 hours a week but this week I am working 15 hours, he gave me a weeks holdiday instead of a weekend, so I have effectively only worked 30 hours in the past three weeks, and I don't think I'm even getting paid for that week. I'm only twenty and I don't want to be messed around - anyone have any advice for me?
    new thread started - replies on the new thread please http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=50318339
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • roadless120
    Options
    My son, who is 38 years old, has a learning disability and has worked for a large DIY store chain for over 10 years doing 20 hours a week under a supported employment scheme called Work Choice.
    Last week his manager asked to see me, his Dad and told me that he needs to reduce his hours by 25% down to 15 because there was not enough work to keep him gainfully employed for 20 hours. He said the business was not doing as well as it has in the past so the wages bill has to be reduced.
    My son is currently on working tax and disability credit which make his wage up to 12k pa, if he comes down to 15 hours he will have a 53% cut in his wages as he needs to be doing 16 hours par week to qualify for these credits. I have spoken to his boss again and told him that a 20% reduction in hours down to 16 would be acceptable. He said he would review it at the end of August, I think this is just a delaying tactic before they reduce him to 15 hours.
    The question is can they legally do this?
  • cr1mson
    cr1mson Posts: 889 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My son, who is 38 years old, has a learning disability and has worked for a large DIY store chain for over 10 years doing 20 hours a week under a supported employment scheme called Work Choice.
    Last week his manager asked to see me, his Dad and told me that he needs to reduce his hours by 25% down to 15 because there was not enough work to keep him gainfully employed for 20 hours. He said the business was not doing as well as it has in the past so the wages bill has to be reduced.
    My son is currently on working tax and disability credit which make his wage up to 12k pa, if he comes down to 15 hours he will have a 53% cut in his wages as he needs to be doing 16 hours par week to qualify for these credits. I have spoken to his boss again and told him that a 20% reduction in hours down to 16 would be acceptable. He said he would review it at the end of August, I think this is just a delaying tactic before they reduce him to 15 hours.
    The question is can they legally do this?

Suggest starting a new thread rather than tagging onto this old one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure