New York City Shopping Spree - Vat?

Hi all,

I'm due to to go to NYC in March, and with all the cash I've saved I'm hoping to spend, spend, spend.

Chances are I'll use my Egg Monet card for its 1% cashback. I have been told by Egg a small percentage fee is issued for each transaction abroad (which is pretty common with any card from my experience.)
This isn't too much of a concern to me but VAT is.
Can I claim the VAT back when I bring my new stuff back to the UK?

Also, I usually use the Post Office to change money, but do any of you know better deals for currency exchange?

And lastly, if any of you have money savings tips for NYC, let me know.

Many thanks
Roosta!

Comments

• pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    OK lets start with the Egg thing. Egg will charge about 2.75% for the priviledge of using your card abroad (this is on top of the 1% that Visa will charge for using your card outside of the EU).

OK not to VAT and duty. When coming back to the UK you have a personal allowance of about £145 (along with other stuff re smokes and booze, see http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_PROD_010220&propertyType=document for more info). Anything above the £145 means you will have to pay VAT and duty on your ENTIRE spend (not just the spend above £145). However you could make your purchases and take your chance to see if you get stopped by customs when you return to the UK.

Re money exchance, best way get hold of a Nationwide debit card (for ATM uses) and credit card (for purchases) as they don't have foreign loading (i.e. the the 2.75% odd Egg will charge you). Failing that Travelex online is probably the best, followed by M&S, however watch out as many debit and credit card providers are now charging for the priviledge of using exchange facilities.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • If you go to New Hampshire rather than New York they don't have sales tax.
  • pin
    Oh forgot to add about claiming back sales taxes. You should be able to do this, however for the life of my in JFK or Newark airports I couldn't find where this could be done.
  • Cheers for the replies, most appreciated.

Egg Money is a Mastercard not a Visa, so not sure if the 1% applies, but you're definitely right about the 2.75% - I'll try and grab myself one of the cards you mentioned, even if I only use it for this holiday.

As for the VAT, I'll probably be wearing half the stuff I bring back! My wardbrobe needs an update and I've been holding out for this holiday. I'm more concerned if I buy a GameBoy or Ipod over there - I'll just have to see how that goes.

Good idea about the sales tax - I think Macy's will allow you to deduct that in store, but I'll read up on other shopping malls.

Cheers
    Roosta!
  • pin
    roosta wrote:
    Cheers for the replies, most appreciated.

Egg Money is a Mastercard not a Visa, so not sure if the 1% applies, but you're definitely right about the 2.75% - I'll try and grab myself one of the cards you mentioned, even if I only use it for this holiday.

As for the VAT, I'll probably be wearing half the stuff I bring back! My wardbrobe needs an update and I've been holding out for this holiday. I'm more concerned if I buy a GameBoy or Ipod over there - I'll just have to see how that goes.

Good idea about the sales tax - I think Macy's will allow you to deduct that in store, but I'll read up on other shopping malls.

Cheers
    Roosta!

Yes, off course Egg Money is Mastercard!! I've got a Nationwide credit card which I only use for holidays, never when I'm back home.

Re the VAT thing, doesn't really matter if you are wearing the clothes, you have still bought them!! While its against the law not to declare your goods, how many people have gone abroad, bought lots of stuff and declared it. I guess it should be up to your discretion.

BTW shopping in NY is great, love it, and I'm a guy!!
  • pkrnts
    pkrnts Posts: 73 Forumite
    Buy the Ipod and find a way of sticking some music on it and act like you took it out there with you. Either dump the packaging or send it via airmail to your home. Very common practice even though a little shady.
  • mail back or bin your credit card receipts as you don't want to be cluttered up with carrying them !!!! look at the stuff you've bought and think what you wouldn't have carried all the way to the US just to bring back again ....this stuff needs to be below the customs limit already posted on here. what type of recharging plug has it got etc
  • Hi, get yourself the Nationwide debit and credit card, I used them over there in November and go shop till you drop, it's great! If you like Italian food try Carmine's on 44th St between 7 and 8th Ave, it's amazing.
  • You must go to Century 21 fab department store - very cheap designer clothes, watches etc. :j
  • Weggy
    Weggy Posts: 462 Forumite
    Done the ditching of the packaging thing before, and it works a treat.

Ipods dont generally come with AC chargers anyway - just a USB cable, so that shouldnt be a problem. If you buy any goods with US AC chargers, either mail just the charger home, or as you cant use it here anyway just ditch it before you leave......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure