Sadolin treatment

Im buying a place that has dark wood doors, windows [to be replaced in time] and fascias. Would the fascias be hardwood or softwood - and how easy is it to treat the doors with Sadolin or something similar? Is it just a question of a good sanding down then 2 coats of the wood treatment?

Tips welcome, never had to do this before.....

Comments

• Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    quatro wrote:
    Im buying a place that has dark wood doors, windows [to be replaced in time] and fascias. Would the fascias be hardwood or softwood - and how easy is it to treat the doors with Sadolin or something similar? Is it just a question of a good sanding down then 2 coats of the wood treatment?

Tips welcome, never had to do this before.....

Without seeing it it's difficult to say, but most wooden fascias on newish houses are softwood.

Sanding down and 2 coats is OK, but if you choose sadolin extra durable then it won't bond to new or sanded wood very well. You could thin it down but what I do is give new or sanded wood a coat of Sadolin Classic first as that absorbs in much better, then when dry a coat of Extra durable.

Don't forget to keep it well mixed. a small paint kettle is very usefull if you are up a ladder.

I find it much quicker to use an electric drill and a 3M stripper disk on my doors/facias, one like this:
    3M_Large_Area_Paint_and_Rust_Stripper_9099BS_Shop_Tools-resized200.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport