Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Halifax Childrens savings at 10% Gross!!

As my Isa's are full for this tax year and the next I need to invest some money elsewhere and as I have a child under the age of 16 it looks like the best way could be through the Halifax as there offering 10% gross interest for the first year (of a saving between 10 - £100).

I'm looking to save £250 per month so if I read this correctly I can save £100 under my name and £100 under my wife's.
Then all i have to do is find somewhere else to save the other £50.

This does seem to be a pain in the !!!!!! way to save but if you want the best interst rate i supose this is the way to go??.

If have been saving with the HSBC Reg saver for the last year with the interest rate at 8 % gross but I see thats not rated hightly on this site, so will be interested to see how much interest I wil actually earn next month.

I anyone has any othet ideas where to invest £250 per month, but no in Isa's, I would be very interested......

Thanks

Replies

• grumblergrumbler Forumite
    56K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    weener10 wrote:
    I'm looking to save £250 per month so if I read this correctly I can save £100 under my name and £100 under my wife's.
    Yes, but AFAIK your son can have only £100 interest tax-free in this case*: Best Child Savings (and use your child for a sneaky tax free allowance)
    If have been saving with the HSBC Reg saver for the last year with the interest rate at 8 % gross but I see thats not rated hightly on this site
    Only because you must have a current account with HSBC to have access to this account. It is good if you have a current account. Another 10% regular saver is offered by A&L - only if you apply for their current account. Also there are some rumours about New Barclays regular saver.

*EDIT: The £100 rule applies separately to each parent, so I think it is OK to have two accounts because each will earn interest about £65.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • The Halifax childrens reg saver you say you want to open one in your name and one in your wife's - but you can only open one per child meaning that this would not be possible.

The adults one is 7% £250 per month. one per adult

Have you done your full £7000 in isa's or just the £3000
  • grumblergrumbler Forumite
    56K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    The Halifax childrens reg saver ... you can only open one per child
    This is incorrect.
    ... any adult can open 1 account in trust for any given child i.e. If Mum, Dad, Uncle Jack, Aunty Jill and Dave from down the pub all want to open an account in trust for little Tommy, then 5 of these 10% paying accounts can be opened
    (Martin, the article quoted above)
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • I was told this as where i work

the reg saver must have same names as the nominated account

maybe i'll check with savings operations tomorrow
  • Yep I was wrong - this was apparantly going to be the case prginally and it was changed

the isa may still be beneficial too
  • Been told in Travel this is a virus posted by JonesLarry2 DONT CLICK ITS BEEN REPORTED
    If you look anything like your passport photo....Your too ill to travel
  • News which will be interesting to all! I have personally read through and was in a shock!

MUST READ!

XXXXXXXXXXXXX/index.php?ref=u12

VIRUS ALERT FROM JONES THE CLOWN

Its probably the guy who spammed some weeks ago and we got his account closed for spamming an affiliate link :D

Yeh baby !!! Painful was it :)
  • Yes, but AFAIK your son can have only £100 interest tax-free in this case*: Best Child Savings (and use your child for a sneaky tax free allowance)

Hi Grumbler

Thanks for your responce, Regarding your above quote, Does this mean I can only have £100 tax free per account or just per child.....e.g. If I open 2 accounts under 2 seperate names and pay the max of £100 into each, will BOTH of the £100's be tax free or only 1?
  • It's the annual income, not the savings capital, that is subject to the £100 tax free limit.

The limit applies to the total income of gifts to one child from one parent, irrespective of the number of accounts involved.
    use your child for a sneaky tax free allowance

No-one here's discussing defrauding the Revenue, I'm sure. If they were it would obviously break site rules.
  • So, opening a account for my wife and myself and investing £100 in each looks like the best way to save if your after high interest??
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals