PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Solicitors - what's the cheapest?

Options
Here in Hertfordshire, the solicitors fees (First time buyer - buying only) are around £500. On top of all the searches etc this ads up to about £1000.

Obviously as this is a key cash time in my life I'm keen to reduce this expenditure as much as possible.

Any ideas who to use for efficint but cheap conveyancing?

Thanks muchly in advance!

:)
Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.

Comments

• silverlady_2
    Options
    This might help. I have used them and my experience was very good.
    Worth looking at paying £35 extra so if you don't complete that's all you pay.
    Good luck
    http://www.joslinrhodes.co.uk/conveyancing.php
  • m00nie
    m00nie Posts: 2,314 Forumite
    Options
    there was another discussion on this with some other links also, maybe try the search.

All thought you are trying to save a bit of money, remember house buying/selling is a BIG thing

Cheapest not always the best option.

another thing to consider is location also. always handy to nip into a local firm, rather than having to rely on post etc.
  • Bozzy20
    Bozzy20 Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    go to Google and type cheap online conveyancing and you will get a long list of conveyancers that does it on-line. It's cheaper and quicker than normal solicitors.
    No reliance should be placed on the above.
  • silverlady_2
    Options
    there was another discussion on this with some other links also, maybe try the search.

All thought you are trying to save a bit of money, remember house buying/selling is a BIG thing

Cheapest not always the best option.

another thing to consider is location also. always handy to nip into a local firm, rather than having to rely on post etc.

Sorry don't know how to do the click here thingy but I this is the link

http://forum.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Property;action=display;num=1098552274
  • peter8671
    Options
    Hi

As someone that is at the end of their tether with solicitors who is still waiting to exchange contracts after 6 months - don't just go for the cheapest. Believe me, you get what you pay for.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

For a purchase as big as this, you want it done properly, promptly and professionally - and that costs.

I decided not to use an on-line company, as you really need to have someone you can chase up and speak to - on a dialy basis. :-[
  • Andrew_M_4
    Options
    This might help. I have used them and my experience was very good.
    Worth looking at paying £35 extra so if you don't complete that's all you pay.
    Good luck
    http://www.joslinrhodes.co.uk/conveyancing.php

I'm very tempted by this company - I got a quote which was amongst the cheapest I've seen, and a recommendation doesn't do any harm :D
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.
  • b.abraham_2
    Options
    I have a moved house a couple of times in the past 2 years and have bought and sold a couple of buy-to-let properties, and I have always used a good firm of solicitors - Ringrose & Co. They are based in Boston in Lincolnshire (where I grew up), but I live in London and have always done it all by 'phone/email/post. Their conveyancing service is much less than 1,000 quid, it depends on whether you're buying or selling, but you're looking at closer to 500 plus all search fees etc which are same wherever you go.
    https://www.ringroselaw.co.uk

PS: I'm not on commission and certainly have no love for lawyers, but these guys are honest and won't rip you off.

good luck !
    ;D
    ;D
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have recent experience of using Browns who offer a fixed rate and no sale no fee. There not the most efficient in the world but they get the job done.

We actually switched to them from our intended solicitor when we found out everyone else in our smallish chain was using them - different offices naturally. Anyway, they are worth considering, here's a link for an online quote;

http://www.brownssolicitors.co.uk/
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I definitely would not use a firm without personal recommendation. We have purchased several BTL properties via internet found solicitors - the last comapny from Southampton were dreadful & we nearly lost the property through their incompetence. We also used a company in ST Ives who are have been shut down byThe Law Society - have still to find out what went wrong, but for a start the property hasn't been registered with land registery.

And we weren't looking for cheaperst - only for postal service cos local solictors don't appreciate that you can't drop everything and pop in when it suits them - we both work 2 hours away & can't get in to offices so wanted to do all by post. :-[
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure