We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Please Help
holyhead_2
Posts: 1 Newbie
in Credit cards
Hello im not sure if i'm even posting this in the right section, if im not imrealy sorry. I was wondering if you guys could help me. When i turned 18 i was offered every store card and credit card in the sun, at the time i thought it was great having loads of new things. This resluted in me having a lot of defaulted payments and two County court Judgements, one in October 2005 and one in October 2006. I have paid off a settlement on all my bills the last one was about four months ago. I want to rebuild my credit rating but no company will even look at me. I have applied for two in the past 2 months, one from capital one, and one from Vanquis. I know these both have a realy high interest rate but im willing to do anything to rebuild my credit. If i cant even get one of these credit cards how am I supposed to build my credit back up? Does anybody know of another way I could build my credit back up? How long does it take for a CCJ to go off my record? Also I've heard of a company that you can pay to boost your credit rating, how true is this? Any help and advice would be much appreciated. Many Thanks you guys... Mike
0
Comments
-
defaults and CCJs will stay on your credit records for 6 years
apart from settling the debts (which you seem to have done), there's not much you can do except let time take its course.
maybe try your own bank if you have a good track record with themEU tariff on agricultual product 12.2%
some dairy products 42.1% cloths 11.4%
EU Clinical Trials Directive stops medical advances0 -
If you pay the amount of a judgement within one month, it's removed from the record. If you pay after one month, it stays on file for 6 years but is marked settled (satisfied).
Have you checked your credit reports to see what's on there? If you use the links provided on page 1 of the *How to obtain credit reports* sticky, you'll be able to see at first hand the data UK lenders search, when you apply for a credit card. Experian sends explanatory notes which are a real help as well.
It takes time to rebuild a good credit history. For tips to improve your chances of credit card acceptance, have a look at the *Credit Rating: how it works and how to improve it guide*, especially Martin's *Manage and Improve your credit score* article. This will answer some of your questions
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/credit-rating-credit-score#improvePeople who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.0 -
Also I've heard of a company that you can pay to boost your credit rating, how true is this?
Consider this, WHY would you pay a company to improve your credit rating? I am being realistic here when I say they are only after your money. It will not make one jot of difference unless they can clear a CCJ. Which I highly doubt. Don't waste your time paying these firms! Most of them are just brokers ie want an up front fee, and you will get a list of companies which you can look up for absolutely free in the directory or online.
There have been enough shows on TV including Tonight, Watchdog about this.Any help, opinions, views I may hold those are my own. Respect them as you would expect the same in return. Offered freely, is gleaned from a lifetime of experiences, knowledge gaining. Passed on to benefit others. I may be direct, ask you questions but those are to help you. Up to you if you choose to take it. I won't judge you either way.
0 -
I am with Merlin here, give them a very wide berth.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards