Diy Advice -materials Etc

Options
Hi,

I am currently thinking of starting a DIY conservatory, which is quite big 3000mm by 7000mm.

It will envoove knocking alot of old out buildings downa and also building fence landscaping.

Everything is going to be done a cheap as possible.

I just wondered where thest place to buy things like breese blocks cement etc cheaper than just going to wickes etc?

also any advice on anyone who built a DIY conservatory much apprecatied

Comments

• Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    Options
    Where are you getting the conservatory from?
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• moneyspender1981
    Options
    Hi,

Getting it from Direct conservatories 4u
  • lagi
    lagi Posts: 590 Forumite
    Options
    I have been doing various projects over the last couple of years and like yourself have been trying to save where i can. For breeze blocks and cement i have found Wickes to be the cheapest. Ballast i have found cheapest from skip companies. They all seem to sell ballast now and aggregates and they are cheapest for that. Plasticiser was cheapest at Screwfix, sand everybody seems about the same so i normally get that delivered with something else to make a free delivery.
  • Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    Options
    I've built a couple of uPVC conservatories, both from Wickes. The one you are getting is a different fixing type, (i.e. it doesn't use any screws) so it sounds easier to put together, however, I'm not sure how strong this would be?

The website refers to the BS standards for the glass and the aluminium, but it doesn't mention if it conforms to BS 6399-3:1988 (Imposed roof loads) or BS6375 & BS5368 Parts 1, 2 & 3 (Severe Exposure Weather Rating).

I'd certainly ask about this before commiting.

As for where to get all the bits and pieces, you could shop around between all the sheds and see which has what on offer. Personally I would go to a builders merchants, they tend to be 10% or so cheaper.
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure