Can You Change Suppliers if you owe them £££££?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
6 replies 868 views
Careful_Shopper_3Careful_Shopper_3 Forumite
78 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Like so many others it would seem, I have had problems with BG, my suppliers for gas and electric. We owe them money on my electric account when they 'forgot' to bill us for just over a year despite constant reminders from us.

We pay by direct debit to cover consumption and the amount we owe. Would we still be able to change supplier? What would happen to the outstanding debt? Would we have to carry on paying that to BG separately?

Replies

• SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You will have to pay off the outstanding bill when you leave. If its for a large amount they very often stop the transfer until you have paid the lot off.
  • Thanks for that. It's pretty much what I feared. So really their error is their gain - I'm stuck with them.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    That may not be correct. Powergen were fined £700,000 recently for stopping customers switching supplier when they still had a balance outstanding.

Whilst I am unsure as to whether you can, due to that punishment of Powergen, I wouldn't assume you cannot change supplier.

Check http://www.ofgem.gov.uk , there may be something somewhere on there that may be of help. ;)
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I have just found on that website, under press releases, is about the Powergen fine. They stopped 20,000 customers who paid by direct debit, regular cash payment, or on a pre-payment meter, from changing suppliers.

There are special rules, apparently, for customers in debt. There is a consumer phone number which may be of help, I hope :)

It's 0845 906 0708.

http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem/about/contact-us.jsp
  • Thank you very much everyone for your help.

I know we're not the only ones that have experienced this difficulty with BG and just hope that I can indeed change supplier and not have this problem again. I will definately try the sites you have suggested.
  • I am in the same position.British Gas didnt bill us for a year dispite constant reminders and we owe them.Also paying large direct debit to cover. This can't be right. looking to switch and could save a massive £600 thats without capping.Don't know what to do ? Any advice?:confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals