Tax Credit Overpayment????

Options
I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD OFFER ME SOME ADVICE??

IN JAN 2008 I SEPARATED WITH MY PARTNER. I RANG THEM THE DAY AFTER AND INFORMED THEM I ALSO GAVE THEM HIS GROSS INCOME TO DATE OFF HIS WAGE SLIP. THEY SUBSEQUENTLY SENT ME A BILL STATING I HAD BEEN OVERPAID £502.00. I RECEIVED AN END OF YEAR INCOME DECLARATION FORM FOR THIS CLAIM....THE DATES ACCORDINGLY APRIL 2007 - JAN 2008 WHEN MY PARTNER LEFT. I FILLED THE FORMS OUT WITH THE SAME INFORMATION.

I HAVE RECEIVED A LETTER ASKING FOR MY EX PARTNERS FULL YEARS INCOME FOR THE PERIOD 2007-2008. WHEN MY PARTNER LEFT HE WENT FROM WORKING 25HRS TO 40+ AND EARNED AND EXTRA £4000.00 IN THE PERIOD HE WAS NOT LIVING WITH ME. I HAVE NOW RECEIVED A LETTER STATING I HAVE BEEN OVERPAID £852.00.

I CANT UNDERSTAND HOW HIS INCOME WHEN HE IS NOT CLAIMING ANY BENEFIT AND WE ARE NO LONGER A COUPLE CAN EFFECT MY CLAIM....

THE ONLY ANSWER I CAN GET IS "ITS HOW THE SYSTEM WORKS IT OUT"...

WE HAVE 12MONTHS LATER RECONCILED AND MY PARTNER HAS MOVED BACK IN..WHEN I FILLED THE FORMS OUT THEY WANT HIS WAGE DETAILS FOR 2008 YET HIS WAGES THIS YEARS ARE AROUND £5500 MORE THAN LAST YEAR! I HAVE TOLD THEM THIS..THEY SAID UNLESS HE EARNS £25,000 MORE THEN THEY DON'T WANT TO KNOW AS IT WONT MAKE MUCH DIFFERENCE! IF THIS IS THE CASE WHY I HAVE ENDED UP WITH A BIG BILL? AND HOW DO I NOT END UP WITH ANOTHER BILL IN APRIL I CANT AFFORD TO PAY?

MY PARTNER DOES NOT WANT TO CLAIM TAX CREDITS AS THEY ALWAYS SEND US BILLS REQUESTING OVERPAYMENTS EVEN THOUGH WE TELL THEM OF CHANGES INSTANTLY! BUT WE CANT AFFORD NOT TO CLAIM THEM..YET I FEAR WHEN APRIL COMES MY MONEY WILL BE REDUCED DRASTICALLY AND OUR ARREARS WILL OUTWEIGH THE INCOME WE RECEIVE FROM THEM!!

PLEASE HELP?!?!?:confused:

Comments

• NICCIW06
    Options
    Unbelievable....my Partner Has Just Received A Letter From Hm Revenue&customs Dating 4/2008 - 4/2009 Which States That We Have No Arrears Past Or Present For Either Child Tax Credits Or Working Tax Credits?!?!?
  • kurjam
    kurjam Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    Options
    sounds like they dont know what they are doing, could you give them a ring and ask ??
  • NICCIW06
    Options
    I dare not ring them in case they tell me that my arrears are even more!!:confused:
  • Pont
    Pont Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree - unbelievable! The only thing I can suggest is that you collate all information, dates, amount of income from wages, amount received in TC and WTC. Try your best to gather this info together in the form of spreadsheet, photocopy all of the letters etc from HMRC and forward everything to them. You can then, in an accompaning letter marked 'For Urgent Attention', point out that their figures don't stack up. I would also add in the letter that these inconsistencies are causing you much upset and stress.
    Good luck, I hope you can manage to get it sorted soon.
  • Pont
    Options
    NICCIW06 wrote: »
    I dare not ring them in case they tell me that my arrears are even more!!:confused:
    Put all of your details into entitled.com - this will give you a rough idea as to if your payments are correct. It may be that when your partner left you were not entitled to WTC as there was nobody working?
  • NICCIW06
    Options
    Thanks when my partner left. I rang them the day after and gave them his wage details to date off his payslip and they ended the claim instantly. This brought up an overpayment of £502.00. I then had to put in a new claim on my own. So between Jan and April I didn't receive WTC.

Yet they wanted my partners wage info for Jan 2008 to April 2008when he wasn't claiming WTC. They have used this information to calculate our claim April 2007- Jan2008.

When he left he worked 40+hrs when he was only working 25hrs when we lived together and earned a lot more in that period in comparison as to when we where together!!! Which has now resulted in the overpayment being increased to £852.00
  • Pont
    Options
    OK - I'm becoming more clear on the problem here. If I've got it right they've assessed the amounts on your partner's income when he wasn't living with you. Who's name are the TC/WTC in, your's or your partners? My understanding is that there are two columns for the details of income. Eg

You Apr 2007 - Mar 2008 0.00?
    Partner Apr 2007 - Mar 2008 His income for the period he was resident with you

I fail to see how your partner's income during the period you were apart is relevant as he would not have been contributing towards your household during this period. TC/WTC are dependant on household income not personal income. They, HMCR, are in the wrong as if a husband had left his wife and kids and the wife put in a claim for TC/WTC she would receive the amount based on her income at the time of the claim and not what her husband was earning. Are they suggesting that if during your separation you met somebody else and he moved into your house, his income before you met would be assessed as your income???!!!! - I don't think so! I suggest you send off a letter as mentioned before with the addition of perhaps asking how these scenarios above would be assessed and that you maintain they have made a mistake. Also add that you are contacting your MP. DO contact your MP!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure