Leaking Roof - Help and Advice needed

Options
I have had a leak since October through my bathroom ceiling (which is a series of wooden planks). It is a top floor flat in a converted Victorian house so the roof is directly above. The roof above the bathroom where the leak is is a flat roof which also houses one of the water tanks (on the roof!). The leak was minor until this month and only leaked every 4 weeks (a small drip). However it now leaks every time it rains - thankfully into the bath itself. It has taken an age to get the builder/roofer round (who is trustworthy although unreliable) and finally he came last week. I went on the roof with him and it doesn't seem in too bad condition (which he agreed with). The area above where the leak is has some moss and seems more worn. The water tank housing also has small rips in places and the lid felting has worn away so there is exposed sodden wood. The roofer feels this is the problem and intends to fit felting around the tank case and cover the surrounding mossy damp part of the roof. Does this sound like the cause? I am concerned that I will pay him to do the work and then the leak continues from elsewhere. I know that water can travel but it seems too much coincedence that this is above the area.

Finally the builder can not make it this week to fix it and it will probably be next week earliest that he can fix it. I know there is yet more rain forecast which means more leaking (it leaked the amount of 1/8th of a tumbler during Sundays 24 hour spell). Do you think that it will be okay to wait until next week without causing any serious damage (and risking the roof collapsing)?

Worried and damp from Woodford :)

Comments

• latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Firstly you should check to see who is responsible for the roof repairs as often its a shared cost between the flats.

If you are not sure about the suggested cause then you can always get another roofer in to give a second opinion.
  • goldbyron
    Options
    It is a shared cost (me and my partner own two of the three flats). The downstairs neighbour is currently out of work (contract worker) so I doubt we will get anything out of her. I did get another roof who did not seem to be able to locate the exact cause. He did suggest patching around this area though or replacing the roof. I am hoping to move in the next couple of years and want to minimise the cost and replacing the roof is costly.
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well in that case if the cost of the repair isn't too much then get it done and hope for the best.

If you can get up there safely by yourself, you could put some heavy duty plastic sheeting over the area to try and reduce the exposure to any rain.
  • goldbyron
    goldbyron Posts: 790 Forumite
    Options
    I have been up there and was considering putting down some sheeting however the forecast looks reasonable for the next week (fingers crossed). I think I may have to get a quote for the whole roof as well just in case. I am assuming that anothing else could be the cause?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure