Council Tax Benefit on £27K joint income??!

Options
2»

Comments

• debnlee_2
    debnlee_2 Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    me and hubby have a joint income of £13000 the website also told us we could get full ctb so went to all the hassle of form filling and was turned down because our income was to high, waited 3wks untill i was on maternity leave and tried again but we was still turned down. so as everyone else as pointed out i dont think you would be entitled to ctb on your salerys.
  • k1mmie
    k1mmie Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just had a visit from the council tax benefit officer to submit my claim. He said it depends on what your monthly payment is and what your monthly income is. As my daughter (the only one working) is a non dependant we qualify for a large reduction, but she would be expected to pay towards it and they will send me an assessed bill.

They said that they take the gross figure, which I told him is totally wrong, as she only earns £12K travels to London at £300 a month and is her first job. Left with around £400 a month for everything - phone, petrol, car tax etc. He agreed and said it is wrong but this is how they base it. Also, if we wanted to claim for housing benefit (we are mortgaged so not applicable), but she would be expected to pay roughly about £40 a week towards the housing cost also. Now I know why some people dont want to go to work for a low wage - it is not worth it!
  • cassyb89
    cassyb89 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    We get 22k and we dnt get anything basically got told NO
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business