Burnt the kitchen worktop

Options
I having a bit of a bad day. Burnt the worktop this morning with a grill pan as I put it down near the sink to wash up next minute there was a crack.

Had to call hubby to tell at work as thought I couldn't leave till tonight. A bit mad but understanding.

Will have to claim on insurnance only thing is that we have just changed insurers and guess what the new policy started today. Any advice on what to do ie call straight away or leave a while so they don't think it is a dogey claim. Another thing could do is sort out myself as by the time paid excess it will not be worth it.

Oh and the kitchen was MFI fitted about 5 years ago. Don't suppose if anyone knows who supplied MFI.

Is there anyway I can fix the worktop without having to replace the worktop.

Sorry for all the questions
I am so mad with myself.

Comments

• mallymal
    mallymal Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi,
    Why replace it - might be hard to match.

Do you (or a handy friend) have a router? If so, why not find a big tile/offcut of marble/hardwood etc etc to use as a chopping board. Rout out the dmagaed worktop to a depth of say 1cm, just a tiny bit bigger than the chopping board, and drop it in.

Especially if you use tile , marble etc, you'll have somewhere heatproof to put your grillpan next time!!!

Just an idea - hope it helps.
  • usignuolo
    usignuolo Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    Options
    i did the same. claimed on my insurance only it was a while since the kitchen was installed and the replacement surface wasn't quite such good quality - the one I had originally was no longer made. So I would go ahead and claim reasonably soon if I were you. The repair firm will be hired by the insurer probably and they will do the matching.
  • Josepina
    Josepina Posts: 112 Forumite
    Options
    I did same as well!!!
    My worksurface sort of blistered and cracked and i was worried about water getting under and whole thing blowing.
    Anyway I got this epoxy resin type glue called Milliput which sets v hard and is waterproof. I put it in the crack and it sealed it and was fine for next 3 years when I moved out. It also comes in a few colours so hardly notice it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure