Need advice on hanging 25kg picture

Options
I need to hang a newly purchased picture which weighs a hefty 25kg, and have very little diy experience. The wall we've identified to hang it is the one which ajoins the terraced house next door, and sounds very solid when knocking it. The terrace is, I think, early 20th century, and is in south London.

So, I'm not really sure how deep the plaster is and what is behind it (brick i suspect).

Any suggestions on how I should secure the picture? Rawlplugs? and if so what size?

Many thanks in advance
Mark

Comments

• 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    Big ones of at least 8mm diameter and 50mm length. For belt and braces security I would suggest at least three.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    25 kg , must be very large and a solid frame!

Im thinking a wooden batten to spread the load.
  • muttly
    Options
    it's actually a metal frame, and is 65 inches wide. Another issue here is the fact it's a rented property, and the walls are textured wallpaper painted white, so will be difficult to undo.

I'm currently thinking along the lines of two wall-plugs. Each should be able to handle 12.5kg.
  • BB1984
    BB1984 Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    Options
    In Homebase they have a section devoted to wall fixings - on each package they state the type of wall it can be used on, and the weight it can support. You'll need something pretty hefty though, not ideal for a rented property...

BB
    :love:"Live long, laugh often, love much":love:
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    muttly wrote: »
    it's actually a metal frame, and is 65 inches wide. Another issue here is the fact it's a rented property, and the walls are textured wallpaper painted white, so will be difficult to undo.

I'm currently thinking along the lines of two wall-plugs. Each should be able to handle 12.5kg.

I would seriously suggest discussing this with your landlord first, sticking great big holes in his wall may make him very unhappy.

:D
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • black_paw
    black_paw Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    yes you can get special bolt's to hang this up at local diy store , but you have to drill big hole in wall , you put bolt in and then screw it , as the end opens outwards at end of bolt in to the wall ....bit like a grabber ... cuts in to wall ... they are brill.....but leave a Heller of a hole and chewed up inside wall ... be warned !!! best bet ask landlord
    the truth is out there ... on these pages !!
    <3
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    Im thinking a wooden batten to spread the load.
    As I said in posting 3 :j

Use standard red rawplugs . firmily attached to wall ( but these are small 6mm holes)

Then hang heavy picture from the batten...... spread the load
  • Ladybird20
    Options
    i would hate someone to be puttin stuff like that up in any of my rentals,,you had better get permission off landlord,,,i dont allow any fotos or anything screwed onto wall,,
  • Ladybird20
    Options
    i would hate someone to be puttin stuff like that up in any of my rentals,,you had better get permission off landlord,,,i dont allow any fotos or anything screwed onto wall,,just dont want you to end up with a hefty bill for what a landlord could call damage....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure