Need roof repairs - advice wanted

Options
I have some loose slates on my roof (Victorian semi on three floors). They urgently need replacing or repairing and in one case they are near the top which probably means taking out a whole line down to the gutter and nailing them back. Also I need old cast iron gutter repaired or replaced. Complicating the issue is the fact that I have a large glass roofed conservatory built in the back "return" of my house and the last thing I want is someone scrambling around on the roof and knocking loose slates onto it.

But I am having a lot of trouble finding a reputable roofer to do the work, either their answerphone is always on and they don't phone back, or when they do turn up, they are unconvincing.

What sort of things should I look for in a roofing quote and how should I go about finding a reputable firm - is there any sort of trade body? I live in south west London by the way.

Comments

• thebaldwindowfitter
    Options
    roofers are busy this time of year .you will not need to have the roof redone all they will do is copper tab the loose slates to the batten which is then bent over edge of slate to keep in place.another thing which may be putting roofers off is 3 story house and glass roofed conservatory
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • thebaldwindowfitter
    Options
    one thing you could try is ringing your insurance company up not to make a claim but ask if they have any approved contractors you could use
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure