We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Credit card declined whilst abroad
jazziet512
Posts: 1 Newbie
in Credit cards
Just wanted to share a recent experience with other users about using my Nationwide credit card whilst on holiday in the USA.
Before I left for this holiday, I rang Nationwide to tell them that I was going to the USA so that they wouldn`t think that any usage there was unusual.
I decided that I would use the card as my primary means of payment as it gives a pretty good exchange rate.
However, whilst on holiday, I started to use the credit card to purchase items in various shops - suddenly, the card was declined.
I was nowhere near my limit, so this was a real mystery to me and as I had no other money, I had no choice but to contact Nationwide to ask what was wrong....
This was my first problem - their customer helpcentre was closed between 10pm and 8am UK time - which was no good to me in America - I can`t believe that they close, especially when people on holiday may want to contact them.
The next day, I made contact with them and discovered that they impose a limit on the number of transactions that can be made on the credit card each day. They don`t disclose this to customers as they believe it helps to combat fraud - they told me the limit of transactions, but I haven`t posted it here.
I pointed out that as I was on holiday, my spending patterns would change and that I may want to use the card more than usual - however, they stated that the system imposed this limit on all customers and that it couldn`t be changed - no matter what.
What made this even more frustrating was that it was the number of transactions that mattered - not the amount! So, if the limit on daily transactions was for example 5, you could use these 5 by making purchases of a £1 a time or hundreds of pounds - if you reached the limit, that was it for that day!!!
I was told that the transaction limit automatically resets at midnight, so you get the same number of transactions each day.
I wanted to share this with everybody because I certainly wasn`t aware of this limit, which adversely affected our holiday.
I was really disappointed with the Nationwide (who, I`ve been with for over 20 years) because:-
1) they hadn`t bothered to mention this limit even when I took the time to contact them to tell them that I was going on holiday - this would have saved me a great deal of worry and embarrassment when the card was declined
2) their Customer Helpcentre isn`t open 24 hrs a day, so if you`re on a long haul trip, they aren`t available during the daytime
3) that their staff were completely unhelpful and inflexible when it came to changing the number of transactions allowed each day.
If you`re going on holiday, you may want to take this into consideration if you`re a Nationwide credit card holder, although, I suspect that it may be the same for all credit cards......
Before I left for this holiday, I rang Nationwide to tell them that I was going to the USA so that they wouldn`t think that any usage there was unusual.
I decided that I would use the card as my primary means of payment as it gives a pretty good exchange rate.
However, whilst on holiday, I started to use the credit card to purchase items in various shops - suddenly, the card was declined.
I was nowhere near my limit, so this was a real mystery to me and as I had no other money, I had no choice but to contact Nationwide to ask what was wrong....
This was my first problem - their customer helpcentre was closed between 10pm and 8am UK time - which was no good to me in America - I can`t believe that they close, especially when people on holiday may want to contact them.
The next day, I made contact with them and discovered that they impose a limit on the number of transactions that can be made on the credit card each day. They don`t disclose this to customers as they believe it helps to combat fraud - they told me the limit of transactions, but I haven`t posted it here.
I pointed out that as I was on holiday, my spending patterns would change and that I may want to use the card more than usual - however, they stated that the system imposed this limit on all customers and that it couldn`t be changed - no matter what.
What made this even more frustrating was that it was the number of transactions that mattered - not the amount! So, if the limit on daily transactions was for example 5, you could use these 5 by making purchases of a £1 a time or hundreds of pounds - if you reached the limit, that was it for that day!!!
I was told that the transaction limit automatically resets at midnight, so you get the same number of transactions each day.
I wanted to share this with everybody because I certainly wasn`t aware of this limit, which adversely affected our holiday.
I was really disappointed with the Nationwide (who, I`ve been with for over 20 years) because:-
1) they hadn`t bothered to mention this limit even when I took the time to contact them to tell them that I was going on holiday - this would have saved me a great deal of worry and embarrassment when the card was declined
2) their Customer Helpcentre isn`t open 24 hrs a day, so if you`re on a long haul trip, they aren`t available during the daytime
3) that their staff were completely unhelpful and inflexible when it came to changing the number of transactions allowed each day.
If you`re going on holiday, you may want to take this into consideration if you`re a Nationwide credit card holder, although, I suspect that it may be the same for all credit cards......
0
Comments
-
well
I used by egg card to buy three items in one day...
the third one failed
their automated system phoned me, I confirmed all three were OK so they 'unfroze' my card... I had to contact the third retailer to reaffirm the purchase.
In fact I was very please that they take security seriously and I thought it quite reasonable.
I guess some people will see that as being very positive and some as negative.
I however nearly always carry two CC and two debit cards and always while abroad.EU tariff on agricultual product 12.2%
some dairy products 42.1% cloths 11.4%
EU Clinical Trials Directive stops medical advances0 -
Personally I think its a good idea, but then when I go to America my spending is insane so it would limit it which is good for me.
Personally I just take cash with me.0 -
Don't think the problem is the limit its not telling people what it is and not un freezing it if requested for a short period.
Very inflexable.
BTW Egg have also been known to stop payments if they are over a certain amount so if spending a large sum in one go then best to inform them in advance.I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.0 -
Well, was using my Nationwide credit card in France and Italy last month. Suddenly, it blocked....then checked my internet banking. Shocked to notice that my limit from £2000 down to £500. Received a letter a week after and told me that they had reduced my limit....Proud of difference! Nationwide....not sure what I can do with a credit card with a limit only £500 and mainly for travelling.0
-
jazziet512 wrote: ».
If you`re going on holiday, you may want to take this into consideration if you`re a Nationwide credit card holder, although, I suspect that it may be the same for all credit cards......
Indeed, I read on BBC News that HSBC are bringing in more stringent anti fraud measures that will involve more of their cards being declined to legitimate holders whilst abroad.0 -
Increasingly the answer seems to be don't use your credit card abroad. The contemptible card companies seems to be making it ever more difficult to use your card at home and abroad these days. They don't seem to realise that YOU are doing them a favour by being a customer, and not the other way round.0
-
The limit of transactions you can make per day is 9. It's an anti-fraud measure to ensure multiple transactions aren't run up (especially abroad). So its for your benefit more than anyone else.
I'm pretty sure if fraud did happen on your card & they ran say 40 transactions on it, you'd be questioning why they didn't have a limit on the card.
Best advice is just to use the CC as a back up & use cash where possible.0 -
Is this applying to the Nationwide card, in which I have a vested interest, or to credit cards in general used abroad?normanmark wrote: »The limit of transactions you can make per day is 9.
V.0 -
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
