Gas fire and back boiler

Options
can anyone tell me if it is still safe to use this system. I have seen a warning on the internet saying that if not in use for a period of time there is a risk of explosion. Also what are the alternatives and how much would it cost to change this sytem to a combi boiler. I am asking as I have seen a few bungalows with this sytem in.
Oh one other question can the gas fire be changed to a log burner in conjuntion with the back boiler and would this work?

Sorry I am totally ignorant on this as have only ever had combi/tank boiler central heating

Comments

• Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning: Have your BBU serviced by a RGI. If the back boiler is safe and performs as required then no need to replace it. The cost of conversion from your current system to a sealed system with a combi is dependent on a variety of factors including your location in the UK, standard of specification etc. Solely as an example, the OH has just quoted £3000 for a BBU conversion to a combi (this is in the southeast and a very competitive quote to boot for the specification!). Take a look at other threads in this forum for more info. You can't remove a gas fire and replace it with a solid fuel burning appliance in front of the back boiler:eek:

****See this guide from the Energy Saving Trust for info on the specification and installation of gas boilers.****

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • Magnolia
    Magnolia Posts: 1,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have just replaced our broken back boiler with a condensing boiler thingie (not used to the name of it yet) cost us £3000 ish give or take a couple of quid. North Yorkshire local plumber.

Just have your system checked by a local Corgi chappy and you should be ok.
    Mags - who loves shopping
  • carefullycautious
    Options
    thankyou very much for your replies. As this system is in a bungalow that we are looking at with view to maybe buy we were wondering if we were setting ourselves up for problems

However, if it is a system that can be maintained ok then this helps with decision making

I would take someone with me to take a look
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport