We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

ins company deliberately overcharging for tin of beans

Options
2»

Comments

• Airwolf1
    Airwolf1 Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Renewals are always over prices. I check the comparison sites (in the order suggested on MSE), then I contact my current insurer with the cheapest quote and see if they'll match. I generally get a good deal from the retentions department.
    My suggestion and/or advice is my own and it is up to you if you follow it, please check the advice given before acting on it.
  • JonBoy_SCFC
    Options
    i've explained before the main difference - the supermarket offers the beans for the same price to all the customers who walk into the shop on any given day.

If i had been buying beans at a price that had been going up, then found out that they were cheaper in another store, i certainly would feel conned by the supermarket if i found out that the guy next to me in the queue had been paying less ofr them.

I find it surprising that you accuse me of using simplistic arguments, when you seem insistent on comparing this issue with buying beans:confused::confused::confused:
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,694 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    the supermarket offers the beans for the same price to all the customers who walk into the shop on any given day.

I disagree.
    The reals MSEers will be looking for the beans in dented tins at a knock down price on a shelf that's not in a highly visible place.
    They will also be paying about 19p for their paracetamol in plain packaging with the same ingredients as the coloured fancy packets.

Those who can't be bothered to shop around will in your terms be "overcharged".

If you call this overcharging (personally I don't) then you have to accept that it goes on in virtually any business.

Many people don't pay asking prices for a house or a car.
    So in that case almost every house and car is overpriced.

I wouldn't use those terms. I'd call it "asking price".
    But however you term it, it's endemic across our capitalist society.
    It's up to consumers whether they shop around or not.

So, no I don't think insurers should be expected to be angellic comapred with the rest of society.

On the auto-renewal side, I don't have strong views (but I'm ultra organised).
    But I would say that there are a lot of dis-organised people out there.
    Would you be happy if you were knocked over, lost your legs and robbed of your income for life and found the other person simply "forgot" to renew??
    I don't believe the insurers do auto-renewal out of a "duty of care". I am more cynical about it, BUT I do know that if they didn't, that there would be a lot of people driving without insurance, not through malice but through a lcak of organisation, so I think you need to bear that in mind.
    Whilst I'm sure that money is the driving factor, it does also mean that people do receive continuous insurance.
  • JonBoy_SCFC
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    I disagree.
    The reals MSEers will be looking for the beans in dented tins at a knock down price on a shelf that's not in a highly visible place.
    They will also be paying about 19p for their paracetamol in plain packaging with the same ingredients as the coloured fancy packets.

Those who can't be bothered to shop around will in your terms be "overcharged".

If you call this overcharging (personally I don't) then you have to accept that it goes on in virtually any business.

i disagree because you are talking about different products, either by some being faulty or being branded differently

insurance auto-renewal customers are being deliberately charged more for exactly the same product, purely due to their propensity to continue on cover

thanks for the tip on the paracetamols though - i'll use that one in future on a sunday after too many lager tops:beer: :beer: :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport