Lock for a thin door?

Options
I need a lock for a door which is only about 1" thick. The door opens out onto the landing and currently has an old (possibly Victorian) external latch with knob. Can anyone can recommend a decent lock, not a yale style but a mortice lock?

Comments

• real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    muffinhead wrote: »
    I need a lock for a door which is only about 1" thick. The door opens out onto the landing and currently has an old (possibly Victorian) external latch with knob. Can anyone can recommend a decent lock, not a yale style but a mortice lock?

Have a look at cabinet locks, they tend to be thinner than door locks.
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    looked at rim locks?
  • muffinhead
    Options
    vaio wrote: »
    looked at rim locks?

Thanks for your suggestions. My only concern with a rim lock is that because the door opens out, the lock will have to be placed on the outside of the door therefore leaving the part where the lock sits open to the risk of being unscrewed which then allows access to the room.
  • vaio
    Options
    muffinhead wrote: »
    Thanks for your suggestions. My only concern with a rim lock is that because the door opens out, the lock will have to be placed on the outside of the door therefore leaving the part where the lock sits open to the risk of being unscrewed which then allows access to the room.

An inch thick door is never going to be really secure, try tamperproof screws with a rim lock or you could probably squeeze a standard thin mortice lock in.
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    The fact that the door opens out does not mean that the rim lock has to be on the outside. You might have to reverse the latching part, but that is no problem. My workshop has an outward opening door and a rim lock. Never had a problem with it.
    As vaio says a1" thick door will never be very strong.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • vaio
    Options
    27col wrote: »
    The fact that the door opens out does not mean that the rim lock has to be on the outside. You might have to reverse the latching part, but that is no problem. My workshop has an outward opening door and a rim lock. Never had a problem with it.
    As vaio says a1" thick door will never be very strong.

reversing the lock tongue will work, the latch part is much harder in terms of the keep. I’ve done it but you have to get creative to get the latch to work properly
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure