CSA mistake? Is this possible?

Options
My husband had a phone call from his HR department on Tues saying that they have had some forms through from the CSA saying that he needs to start paying child support for a child born in 1996. She said that the form contained someone else's employment and tax details and that she had called them and told them she thought it was a mistake. The CSA then agreed that they had got a digit wrong when entering the actual fathers NI number and had therefore got my husbands details. The CSA then phones my husband and confirmed it was a mistake and that they would send a letter out to confirm this. I received a letter from the CSA this morning again stating that my husband is the father of a child born in 1996 and that he is liable for CS payments etc.. etc.. We have called the CSa today but apparently they can't access any records this weekend as all their systems are down. Obviously I am extremely upset and worried about this situation and although I trust my husband implicitly your mind does start to wander. I just wondered if anyone had had any experience of a similar thing happening and could put my mind at rest.

Comments

• atomicsheep
    Options
    i wouldnt worry too much. They already said it was a mistake. Sounds like you got the initial letter which had already been sent out, you'll soon get the second to advise of the mistake no doubt.
    You can't beat an egg.........................NO WAIT!
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    CSA letters actually seem to get posted DAYS after they are 'sent', so this letter probably pre-dates subsequent contact.

If they really are still making that allegation, they will have to obtain DNA from your OH to prove it anyway.

Your next move, if you are 100% sure it is a false allegation is to contact your MP and make him get in touch with the head of the CSA. Sod messing about, go straight to the top.

If they have made a mistake, sue them. I would. They deserve as much !!!!!! as possible. This sort of error deserves compensation.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • SomeBozo
    SomeBozo Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Options
    This sort of error deserves compensation.

As bad as it is, what is the compensation for? What financial losses has the OP suffered?

Bozo
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    SomeBozo wrote: »
    As bad as it is, what is the compensation for? What financial losses has the OP suffered?

Bozo

Financial loss not necessaary.

Emotional distress
    False allegations
    Incompetence of the CSA (oh hang on, that's compulsory).
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    charo1978 wrote: »
    My husband had a phone call from his HR department on Tues saying that they have had some forms through from the CSA saying that he needs to start paying child support for a child born in 1996. She said that the form contained someone else's employment and tax details and that she had called them and told them she thought it was a mistake. The CSA then agreed that they had got a digit wrong when entering the actual fathers NI number and had therefore got my husbands details. The CSA then phones my husband and confirmed it was a mistake and that they would send a letter out to confirm this. I received a letter from the CSA this morning again stating that my husband is the father of a child born in 1996 and that he is liable for CS payments etc.. etc.. We have called the CSa today but apparently they can't access any records this weekend as all their systems are down. Obviously I am extremely upset and worried about this situation and although I trust my husband implicitly your mind does start to wander. I just wondered if anyone had had any experience of a similar thing happening and could put my mind at rest.

Sadly this has happened a staggering amount of times. Last year there was a story about exactly this issue on television, they have even sent elderly men demands to pay child maintenance & continued to send out demands even after admitting it was a mistake. People have actually ended relationships over this as well.

The truth is the CSA is not fit for purpose and your husband is one of hundreds if not thousands of men falsely persued by them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1444844/CSA-drove-couple-apart-with-false-paternity-claim.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1021242/Man-sues-CSA-partner-leaves-letter-claiming-fathered-womans-child.html

Just Google 'CSA mistakes' and you'll get the picture.
  • slim1982
    slim1982 Posts: 190 Forumite
    Options
    my brother had the same happen to him and he got £500 pay out from csa for the mistake
    :mad: still waiting on halifax claim

:mad: i hate csa
  • Mips
    Mips Posts: 19,796 Forumite
    Options
    I would have cut my husbands balls off before he got a chance to read the letter :D

Well done you!

Hope it's all been cleared up :)
    :cool:
  • Mrs.Materialistic
    Options
    gomer wrote: »
    People have actually ended relationships over this as well.

quote]

that cracks me up people leaving hsbands over false allegations , if your husband who u love trust etc tells u its a mix up then believe it and fight csa for compo...how can people be in such an insecure marridge,if there is no trust whats the point
    Hoping to be debt free 2011:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport