damp problem

Options
i live in a 3 bedroom house the back of the house seems too be getting very damp black patches mostly but green patches and fur in some places

anyway just had landlord out and he said he is having a problem with it in most of his houses and it is down too condensation not damp and too wipe it down with bleach on a cloth :confused:

anyone else had this problem

thanks glo

Comments

• princess_loki
    Options
    yes we have the same problem here - mainly in lodgers bedroom (he never opens window). but the problem is that the mould spores travel in the air and it is now spreading!

i am going to make him use mould and mildew remover and i also borrowed a dehumidifier from a friend. i have lived here for 5 years and it has never been this bad!

i also know that the brick work on the back of the house is not great - i am getting a builder in to re-point it.

best thing to do is clean it several times (maybe ask landlord to get proper stuff from diy shop) and make sure that there is good air circulation. i find it is worse when there is stuff piled up against the walls.

also, open windows for a few hours each day and try not to dry stuff on radiators without opening windows (think how much water there must be in a pair of jeans) and if you don't open a window where will the water go....

i think it is fair of the landlord to ask you to have a go at cleaning it but really he should buy (or refund you) the proper stuff to do it with.

then once it is clean and the inside of the house is dry if it comes back then you could get him to take a closer look.

hope this helps

loki x
    it's nice to be important but more important to be nice!! :kisses3:
  • glodh1973
    glodh1973 Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    Options
    we have windows open permanently bathroom one used too even keep open over night because of the condensation in there do dehumidifiers actually work was or should i say am considering getting one next weekend as we suffer really bad condensation in 2 of the rooms
  • princess_loki
    Options
    yes - the dehumidifier really does work! you will be surprised at how much water actually comes out of the air :eek:

one thing that i must mention is that you MUST move it from room to room. i got mine from a friend who was really upset because she had it running for ages in just one room and it cracked the plaster!

mine has a turn around dial so that you can set it to what humidity you want in the room - for example on full when boiling stock or washing is on radiators or on about half at other times.

before christmas every morning there was so much condensation on the windows that it was collecting in puddles on the window sills. now there is just a 'normal' amount of condensation on the windows if it is really cold outside.

also, i find that if i put stuff on radiator airers and then have the dehumidifier running then the clothes dry quicker!!

as well as that i have found that because the rooms / air is not 'damp' the house actually feels warmer :D
    it's nice to be important but more important to be nice!! :kisses3:
  • glodh1973
    glodh1973 Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    Options
    thankyu i will defimately be investing in one now

glo
  • jacnorm
    jacnorm Posts: 410 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the info on the dehumidifier I was considering buying one but, was unsure if it would do the trick but, I will definately get one now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure