We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Direct Debit !!!! up has cost me.

Need a bit of advice. I applied for a Halifax credit card with 0% purcases for 9 months with a credit limit of £4200, and filled in the direct debit form and sent it back. I get my first statement on 20th of Nov saying £0.00 to be repayed by 15th of Dec.
I didnt get a statement on the 20th of December and I didnt think about it as I moved into a new house the Saturday before Christmas.
I now get a statement on 20th of Jan saying I owe £4220.57. I made sure I only spent £4196 but I have been charged £12 late fee, and that has brought me over my limit so I have also been charged £12 overlimit fee! They now say they didnt get the direct debit instruction in my original application form, they also said when I rang them to change my bank account details to my joint account on the 2nd of Jan that they had not recieved a direct debit instruction. I rang them and said that I have confirmation from 3rd of Jan that a direct debit is being set up but they said they couldnt take out a payment before the 15th of Jan deadline as it takes up to 6 weeks to set up, which wasnt mentioned to me! I have now lost my 0% for 9 months, and have to pay fees and interest on a card I have only just got. Is there anything I can do?

Comments

  • Calchas
    Calchas Posts: 405 Forumite
    Ring them and explain what happened and ask if there is anything they can do.

    I would guess that a liitle bit of humility will serve you better that taking an accusatory tone.
  • anna42hmr
    anna42hmr Posts: 2,907 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    i agree, stay calm be nice and see if they are willing to help,

    to be honest, not sure what your chances will be because as well as the statement message, they also used to send a letter stating that they are in the process of setting the dd up and confirming the account details and issueing the direct debit guarentee slip on it including the ref number and it states on there also to keep paying manual payments until advised otherwise

    so they may turn round and say they have issued 2 lots of correspondence. also they could say that you could have checked on your current account to see if a dd has been set up.

    going in all guns blazing will get the staffs back up, so less likely to help you afterall they cant be responsible if you havent received the post as it was sent to the wrong address if thats what they have for you,

    have you changed the address now, as that may go in your favour when you say that you didnt receive the correspondence, as if they can see a recent address change to support it, they may realise its been a genuine mistake and be more likely to help
    MFW#105 - 2015 Overpaid £8095 / 2016 Overpaid £6983.24 / 2017 Overpaid £3583.12 / 2018 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2019 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2020 Overpaid £2583.12/ 2021 overpaid £1506.82 /2022 Overpaid £2975.28 / 2023 Overpaid £2677.30 / 2024 Overpaid £2173.61 Total OP since mortgage started in 2015 = £37,286.86 2025 MFW target £1700, payments to date at April 2025 - £1712.07..
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.