They've refused my Surestart £500 Grant claim!!

Options
I very foolishly realised i'd left it rather late ..but it was, as I thought, just within the 3 months of the deadline date by one day!

My daughter was born 18th Sept -the claim was handed in in person to the Job Centre on the 17th Dec.

The funny thing is it says on the letter "The claim you made on the 30th December.." when I clearly wrote 17th Dec on the form! ..maybe the 30th was the date they recieved it. not my fault surely?!

Anyone know how I can wangle an appeal? maybe someone knows of any kind of technicalities I may be able to use?
thanks

Comments

• bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    Did they stamp it at the job centre? Or give you a receipt?
  • Auzelia
    Auzelia Posts: 806 Forumite
    Options
    why did you hand it in the the jobcentre.
    You could have posted it, thats what I done.

Looks like the jobcentre left it sitting there, cos it only took them 6 working days to pay out my SSMG from receiving my claim.
  • claudib
    claudib Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    well they were really rushing me and turfing me out so i didn't get a receipt.. !!!!!!!
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    claudib wrote: »
    well they were really rushing me and turfing me out so i didn't get a receipt.. !!!!!!!

I'm not sure you can do much in that case.

I can't understand why you handed it in there either.

It's frustrating, I am sure, and it is certainly worth querying it - you have nothing to lose.
  • claudib
    Options
    i had thought since it was Christmas handing it in was more guaranteed way of getting it to be seen quickly than going through the post -big mistake.
  • welshmoneylover
    Options
    £500 grant and you left it until the last minute!!

I'd have got my bum out of bed and claimed the next day lol
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • nottslass_2
    nottslass_2 Posts: 1,765 Forumite
    Options
    You have the right of appeal - My sons partner were refused the grant as they claimed too late,but later appealed successfully !!!! The reasons that they gave were that Due to Post Natal depression and a death in the family,she'd unfortunately left claiming too late.

What you need to do is write stating that "you are appealing against their decision" ,and state the reasons why - remember to be very polite (sometimes it helps to grovel). You only have 30 days (I think ) to appeal.

Good luck
  • claudib
    Options
    thanks nottslass!
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    Although you can appeal the decision, you will be very lucky if they allow you to have the grant. The person who appealed their decision and got the grant had a very good reason for being too late to claim because they were suffering from PostNatal depression. If you do not have evidence to say when you actually handed in the form then you can not prove that you handed it in when you said you did. If they allow you to have it with no proof then it will open the floodgates with others declaring the same. There is a cut off point when the baby is three months and they are very unlikely going to change their mind.
  • mitchaa
    mitchaa Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    Options
    Isn't there a 90 day deadline on this?

I make 18th Sept to 17th Dec 91 days.

13 in Sept
    31 in Oct
    30 in Nov
    17 in Dec

Of which unfortunately is your fault for leaving it so late.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure