Unicom threatening legal action

Options
Hi,

I am in the midst of an ongoing dispute with a former telephone provider. Unicom provided me with my home land line up until June last year, at which time i was contacted by BT with a better offer. I then phoned Unicom to notify them of my intention to change providers. They were adamant that i could not do so and that i was contracted with them until November even though i had not signed any written agreement. I asked them to furnish me the aforementioned contract with my signature on, they said they would. During this time i entered into an agreement with BT.
I then recieved numerous phone calls from Unicom saying i had an oral contract with them and they would take legal action if i did not honour the agreement. The conversation ended the same with me telling them to 'go ahead'.
More recently i have started to recieve letters from debt collectors for Unicom requesting me to pay £245 and this week recieved a call telling me this was final chance to pay and that they have the recording of me entering into the oral contract.
Two questions, one is more specific, firstly are they entitled to this money?
Secondly, they notify customers that the recording will be for 'training purposes' but can they use this to prove initiation of contracts? Also, i would assume they would have played this recording to the debt recovery agents (a third party). Surely this a breach of ones human rights?

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think your first mistake was in contacting Unicom. The normal way is to contact your new provider and they deal with all the changeover including contacting your old provider.
    When you contacted BT did you tell them that you wanted to transfer from Unicom, its usual for BT to contact Unicom, then Unicom object to the transfer and then BT contact you to tell you of this obection. I think i would be having a word with BT before you do anything else. Do you have any legal help on your house insurance who you can contact for advice
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Drunkstar
    Drunkstar Posts: 889 Forumite
    Options
    If you made a verbal contract then yes the ocntract stands and yes they can use that recording as proof.

As to if the monies owed is fair or whatnot, I have no clue I am afraid.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 2
  • jerd16
    jerd16 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    Drunkstar wrote: »
    If you made a verbal contract then yes the ocntract stands and yes they can use that recording as proof.

As to if the monies owed is fair or whatnot, I have no clue I am afraid.

But, the verbal contract could/would not stipulate how long the contract was for? Only that we have entered into an agreement wherby they provide me with a service for which i furnish them with consideration.
  • Drunkstar
    Drunkstar Posts: 889 Forumite
    Options
    They generally say 'x weeks for y ammount'. But I would ask for a copy of the recording to confirm it for myself.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 2
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Drunkstar wrote: »
    They generally say 'x weeks for y ammount'. But I would ask for a copy of the recording to confirm it for myself.

Good idea, That'll shake them up a bit,
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport