Redundant Manager coming back in other position at risk of my own

Options
Hi,
I work in an IT department consisting of two system administrators. The IT manager has been made redundant but is still on appeal and it may happen that they bring him back as a Senior system administrator. The role of IT Manager no longer exists, strategic planning, etc. The role of system administrator, reactive support, etc, still does exist as there are two of us. If he does choose to come back then all three of us will go in to a pool and one will become redundant. I was wanting to know where I stand, can they bring him back still as my manager in another role (can I even apply for this new position?) with duties the same as my own and then make me redundant? My current role isn't redundant so I can't see how they can go about it.

Any help/comments are appreciated.

Comments

• Spirit_2
    Spirit_2 Posts: 5,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Usually this would be termed a re-organisation/restructure, using your example where a department changes from a manager with 2 subordinates, to a senior (non manager position) with one sub-ordinate. Redundancies do arise from restructures, it is quite common to reduce investment in less hands on (strategic) activities but want to retain leadership for a service/function..

This can be in 2 steps, manager accepts down graded position and a redundancy is made from the 2 subordinate posts or if the skills needed could be sourced from anyone in the team then all the post holders may be eligible to apply for the senior post. If the manager does not get it he is redundant, if he does then one of the two subordinate posts is redundant.

The organisation can choose how to go about this restructure, so long as it is not discriminatory.

Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport