🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Housing benefit arrears - Rant mainly

Options
I have managed to get into debt with the council for housing benefit as they say they have overpayed me by £123 since October 08. I am not disputing this as I had a bonus one month and a premium payment another which took me over what I expected to earn.

The problem I now have is that on the notification of overpayment is stated that they would reclaim the money from my Landlord (I rent from a housing association) in due course. Having never been in this situation before I transferred my HA £100 so that there would be some money in my rent account for the council to claim back. I have now received a bill from the council asking for payment. I called them and explained to them as I have to you. They were absolutely no help. I have today emailed HA, explained the situation and asked them to refund the £100 to me. They have replied saying they are unable to do this but not to pay my rent for the next week. It is too late to cancel the SO from my bank. :mad:

I can wait until next week and then cancel the following weeks payment but I can't understand why they won't refund. It's not like I had any arrears with my rent.

I have emailed them back asking for an explanation as I have had a refund from them before.

I am so unhappy. I have started a new job (which is great) but I am so tired and I do not need this. I am trying so hard to sort my finances out and this does not help.

Sorry for the rant but I do not want to talk to my family about it as they will worry.

Comments

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you are able to sort this out next week I wouldn't worry too much about it. The council are not going to be doing anything that quickly to recover it if you don't pay today! If it still bothers you though you could try ringing HA again and try speaking to a different person (higher up?).
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's irritating but it is not practical for the landlord to issue a refund. How much would it cost if a tenant could ring up and request refunds willy-nilly from their rent accounts? How many tenants work part-time and receive partial and variable housing benefit? And it isn't just those on benefits who could ask for their money back.

I know, in your case you're request is not willy-nilly and your case is different from anyone else who wants an instalment back... :)

It is frustrating but no-one is being unreasonable. As mentioned, in future you know you should just wait to resolve such hic-coughs.
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    We had a problem similar to this once, but in our case, it was the HA and council both demanding the same overpayment (which was not our fault anyway)!? :confused: :rolleyes: It's like bashing your head against a brick wall with them sometimes!

As Fran says though, they won't act quickly so just let it lie until you can pay it next week.

You could contact the council and tell them you will pay it by the end of next week. They are even less likely to chase it if you have given them a date and they know what the problem is.

Really, don't worry about it too much.

Glad you are enjoying your new job!
  • sweeper133
    Options
    Well I say good on you for getting £100 into your rent account in order to cover it! Not many people would be that diligent. Its shows you are in control, plus you have spoke to all the parties involved to see what is 'possible'.
    I agree with best spud about asking the council for time to pay. They will be pleased you have contacted them so quickly I am sure.
    Dont let it put you off keeping the live claim for HB. It can be hard to claim HB and work, especially if your wages vary, a lot of people feel it is more hassle than it is worth to be givign in payslips every month and having the claim reassessed. But if you are aware that changes in wages mean less HB at the end of the month (or more!), you can at least keep some of the extra wage back to pay the shortfall in rent.
    :rolleyes: Budgeting is my favourtie thing!
  • Emmsie21
    Emmsie21 Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies. I have calmed down a bit now!! It was just so frustrating!! :D

I got a reply from my HA which confused me slightly - apparantly to have a refund you have to be in credit by at least a week (if you pay weekly) or a month (if you pay monthly). I am currently £100 in credit and my weekly rent is £73.89 so I am unsure why I can't have a refund - or am I missing something???

Anyway, I have decided to pay my rent as normal this week and then not pay it the following week and pay the council instead. They will then have to have the remainder over a few weeks. I'll just send them a letter to let them know so they can't say i didn't contact them!!

Sweeper133 - Now I have changed my job my wages going forward will be the same every month so hopefully I won't have this problem again!

Bestpud - Thank you. I am loving my job - it is in a school which I have been trying to get into for ages. It has meant taking a slight pay decrease but it had to be done and is definately worth it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport