We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Wot's goin' on?
Geoff._Johnson_3
Posts: 1 Newbie
in Credit cards
The Good, the Bad: I write to my HSBC credit card account, which was charging nearly 20 per cent, and say that interest rates are at historical lows, why do they charge so much - they reduced the rate by 4 per cent to 15.9 per cent. Good....
But then I get a letter from Capital One, saying they are going to INCREASE my credit card to nearly 20 per cent - take it or leave it. I can opt to cut the card up, and pay at existing rates, or pay the higher rate. Bad...
I thought the illustrious government wanted us to spend, and support the high street shops?
Credit cards must be the only business that does everything to get customers, then treats them very badly.
Why can one go down, the other go up?
Any ideas?
But then I get a letter from Capital One, saying they are going to INCREASE my credit card to nearly 20 per cent - take it or leave it. I can opt to cut the card up, and pay at existing rates, or pay the higher rate. Bad...
I thought the illustrious government wanted us to spend, and support the high street shops?
Credit cards must be the only business that does everything to get customers, then treats them very badly.
Why can one go down, the other go up?
Any ideas?
0
Comments
-
When times are bad people stop paying their credit cards and so bad debts increase. They're trying to rake is as much as they can to cover it. I'm sure they're trying to encourage you to clear the debt too.
They seem to be doing this to an awful lot of people at the moment.0 -
They're variable credit rates. So its purely up to the company what rate they feel like they want to charge.0
-
Geoff._Johnson wrote: »I can opt to cut the card up, and pay at existing rates
That sounds like the sensible option.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards