The Cost Of Pulling A Tooth = Help

Options
How much would i expect to pay for having a tooth removed with a Dentist ?

Comments

• Auzelia
    Auzelia Posts: 806 Forumite
    Options
    NHS Dentist Charges Structure
    • £16.20 - This charge includes an examination, diagnosis and preventive care. If necessary, this includes X-rays, scale and polish, and planning for further treatment. Urgent and out-of-hours care also costs £16.20.
    • £44.60 - This charge includes all necessary treatment covered by the £16.20 charge PLUS additional treatment such as fillings, root canal treatment or extractions.
    • £198 -This charge includes all necessary treatment covered by the £16.20 and £44.60 charges PLUS more complex procedures such as crowns, dentures or bridges.
    These charges are valid for any NHS dental treatments finished after 1st April 2008.
  • singlehouseholder
    Options
    I was referred to my local dental hospital as I have dental work carried out under sedation. The cost was free and the treatment, and bedside manner was far superior to that of my dentist who would have took my tooth out, then my eyes, and probably came back for stalks later!!!
    RIP Floyd - 19/04/09. I know i'll see you again my best friend forever.

19/06/2013 T12 incomplete Paraplegia, down but not out.
  • silkyuk9
    silkyuk9 Posts: 2,815 Forumite
    Options
    removal will be £44
    All the big powers they've silenced me. So much for free speech and choice on this fundamental human right, and outing the liars.
  • redz
    redz Posts: 212 Forumite
    Options
    I was referred to my local dental hospital as I have dental work carried out under sedation. The cost was free and the treatment, and bedside manner was far superior to that of my dentist who would have took my tooth out, then my eyes, and probably came back for stalks later!!!

My dentist, who I was recently referred to by the Dental Access Service, pulled out one of my teeth without waiting for the anaesthesia to take effect. To say it was painful would be a gross understatement. :rolleyes2
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    redz wrote: »
    My dentist, who I was recently referred to by the Dental Access Service, pulled out one of my teeth without waiting for the anaesthesia to take effect. To say it was painful would be a gross understatement. :rolleyes2

This happened to me as a child. My dentist was struck off a few years later, turned out she had been treating patients whilst under the influence of drugs and alcohol. Needless to say, I have been left with a phobia about dentists! :o
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    silkyuk9 wrote: »
    removal will be £44

This is not what it cost my relative recently. It was less than £15, is this due to either being a pensioner or living in Scotland? It was an awkward removal and took over an hour.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • k1mmie
    k1mmie Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    christmas week, I paid £16.20 (the difference to £44.60 to be paid when they took it out) for the first visit to assess my excruciating toothache. They said I needed to take antibiotics for the infection before they could extract the tooth. Given 5 days worth (£7.10 perscription). Went back to extract tooth - paid the remaining balance. A week later and could not move my face in so much pain. Had to go and see a different practice as my dentist was not back from christmas yet and it was severely infected. This hurt like hell. Scraping the inside out down to the bone. Have to admit I cried like a baby. Well I did get an injection the first time to numb it!

So had to pay another £16.20. - AND another prescription for £7.10 antibiotics.

SO it would appear it depends if it straight forward.

Had severe pains for
  • Mips
    Mips Posts: 19,796 Forumite
    Options
    I paid £90 to have a tooth pulled in a non NHS practice. I couldn't find an NHS Dr and was in so much pain, in desperation I booked into the first that could fit me in!
    :cool:
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    k1mmie wrote: »
    christmas week, I paid £16.20 (the difference to £44.60 to be paid when they took it out) for the first visit to assess my excruciating toothache. They said I needed to take antibiotics for the infection before they could extract the tooth. Given 5 days worth (£7.10 perscription). Went back to extract tooth - paid the remaining balance. A week later and could not move my face in so much pain. Had to go and see a different practice as my dentist was not back from christmas yet and it was severely infected. This hurt like hell. Scraping the inside out down to the bone. Have to admit I cried like a baby. Well I did get an injection the first time to numb it!

So had to pay another £16.20. - AND another prescription for £7.10 antibiotics.

SO it would appear it depends if it straight forward.

Had severe pains for

I believe it is incorrect for you to be charged in the second instance. If the complication is directly linked to the initial treatment then it should be included in the price,I believe it depends on the timescale as well. (this is what I was told when I worked at NHSDirect anyway.)Seems so unfair,especially as the infection may have been caused by poor treatment by the first dentist. Sounds really awful!

EDIT-I just reread your post! I didn't realise the second dentist was at an entirely different practice.
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure