We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Never had a credit card before - no idea where to start!

2»

Comments

  • withnell
    withnell Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    Things only go wrong with credit cards when you use them for items that you wouldn't buy if you just had the cash.

    Maybe try with your bank - they have full access to all your past transactions and may well be able to offer you a card.
  • dci220
    dci220 Posts: 6 Forumite
    The Virgin CC looked pretty good last time I checked, maybe worth a look.

    You have to have a very strong and sensible head to use a Credit Card sensibly imo.
  • Woodyrocks
    Woodyrocks Posts: 1,913 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I never treat my credit card as a fountain of credit but rather as a debit card from my own pocket. I always pay off in full what I spend every month and most of the times even on the same day. Set up a payment order from your internet banking and transfer money to the CC as you spend it.

    A year ago, I had no CC and no hope of getting one but having used Vanquis for a year and never having to pay a penny in interest I have built up a rating good enough to secure a mainstream card. A CC is not about free money, I have my own TYVM, it is about building up my history so that I can get on the property ladder. People shouldn't be discouraged from applying for them but rather encouraged to be mindful and responsible. There is no such thing as free money afterall!
    DEBT FREE AND LOVING LIFE
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.