We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Credit card question..

I read somewhere recently that it's not good for your credit rating to have credit cards but not owe anything on them. I have several cards that I don't owe on and wonder if I should cancel/close them...any advice?
Debt-free...and staying that way...

Comments

  • BenL
    BenL Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    Here you go, Martin has written an article that should help you out.

    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cards/cancel-unused-cards
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • Thanks Ben-I'll cancel them then...
    Debt-free...and staying that way...
  • That's what I would do. I have been in the same situation recently and have now calmed down a bit with them and now only have the ones with the balances on them.
    :oCurrent Debt £38,000:o


  • BenL
    BenL Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    I went from 4 to 1 or rather am in the process of doing.

    Nationwide CC is staying as ever but the Skycard £10,000, Barclaycard (ex Goldfish) £2,700 and Amex £2,100 are all being binned off.

    I only got the latter two due to Quidco, frees some "space" up for another round of cashback in the future.
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • schoolrunmum
    schoolrunmum Posts: 2,689 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Done-cancelled 4 cards...thanks all...boy, did they try to persuade me not to though...!!!!
    Debt-free...and staying that way...
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.