BMW series 1

Options
mae
mae Posts: 1,511 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
buying a new car and thinking about the BMW Series 1 it will probably be one of the more basic models. Has anybody any suggestions on getting the best deal? Will be part exing my 02 golf and prob putting the rest on a credit card life of balance transfer at the best rate I can which is prob 4.9%.
thanks

Comments

• skintscotsman
    Options
    why anyone would want a 1 series BMW is beyond me.....
    A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    why anyone would want a 1 series BMW is beyond me.....

Sorry but I have to agree with this, I had one for a week on test drive and it was the worst car I had ever driven. Underpowered, under specified and plasticy with no power in low revs. If you really want one make sure you give it a good test drive and you understand exactly what you have to pay for extras to get it to the same spec as most cars in the same price range;)
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • K9cuddles
    K9cuddles Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Options
    yeap.. .I've gotta agree too! I'm sure their re-sale value is will be very poor!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 092

::£2 - CSC - Terramundi is filling up!! :: Joined 3/3/06 :: 5/2/07 - 835kg + £280 Banked!!::
    ::5p,10p & 20p - Savings Tin :: Founded 9/4/06 :: 23/3/07 - 3.2kg ::

Lost to date - 9kg (22/8/06) Next weigh in 2007!!
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    911443129.jpg
    Another Golf?
  • funky-footprints
    Options
    definately prefer a golf or an Audi A3 any day over a BMW 1 series. I too had the pleasure of one for a couple of days and I was not impressed (and Im a school run mum) apparantly i had the sporty model !!! You have to pay a heck of lot of money to get anything half decent. What spec BMW were you looking at ? ?
  • ncd
    ncd Posts: 308 Forumite
    Options
    Only buy one if you like the feeling that everyone else is laughing at you because you have more money than sense. They are a hideous car to drive and there are much, much better looking and driving cars around, like the Golf, Audi A3 etc. Do a test drive of all three and then see if you still want the over priced BMW. If it didn't have the BMW badge on it and say Seat instead, would you still be considering it?
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    ncd wrote:
    If it didn't have the BMW badge on it and say Seat instead, would you still be considering it?

I swapped an Audi A3 for a Seat, the Altea is a fantastic car for the money, it costs much less on my tax then the A3 and has more features than the A3 or the BMW1.
    Upgrade to Bluetooth cost £129, gives you an MP3 CD/radio, BMW cost was over £1000 for a similar upgrade.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • mae
    mae Posts: 1,511 Forumite
    Options
    Well that told me!! I was just looking on brokers4cars actually and the 116i sport is £15855 that is supposedly a saving of £2090. But I have to be honest I know hardly anything about cars so you lot are all probably right!!!
  • K9cuddles
    K9cuddles Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Options
    nearlyrich wrote:
    I swapped an Audi A3 for a Seat, the Altea is a fantastic car for the money, it costs much less on my tax then the A3 and has more features than the A3 or the BMW1.
    Upgrade to Bluetooth cost £129, gives you an MP3 CD/radio, BMW cost was over £1000 for a similar upgrade.

I've gotta agree! I've got a Seat Leon Cupra R.. same engine as Golfs, TT's, A3's and good old Skodia Octavia's.... all a much better car then a 1 series!!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 092

::£2 - CSC - Terramundi is filling up!! :: Joined 3/3/06 :: 5/2/07 - 835kg + £280 Banked!!::
    ::5p,10p & 20p - Savings Tin :: Founded 9/4/06 :: 23/3/07 - 3.2kg ::

Lost to date - 9kg (22/8/06) Next weigh in 2007!!
  • MrSmartprice
    MrSmartprice Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Options
    I can't say I've ever driven a 1 series, or have any desire to do so. What I can say is it is one of the most hideous looking cars on the road. Most cars these days are pretty bland and similar, but this one positively jumps out with its awful looks. Who designed it - David Blunkett?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure