We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Withdrawing cash

For reasons I don't want to go into here - if I withdraw, say £2000 from my Barclaycard at an ATM how do I go about avoiding any interest? I'm aware that it starts from the moment I actually withdraw - but if I pay off in full for the next two months, would that be OK? or should I pay off the next statement in full, then overpay the estimated interest - would that work also? I'm not absolutely sure.

Comments

  • tripled
    tripled Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    There is no interest free period on cash withdrawls, so you wouldn't be able to avoid interest entirely. Some banks may also charge you a transaction fee.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    beedeedee wrote: »
    if I pay off in full for the next two months, would that be OK? or should I pay off the next statement in full, then overpay the estimated interest - would that work also? I'm not absolutely sure.
    Should be somewhere near, yes, but in addition you'll also need to clear any existing balance with the payment due to the negative payment hierarchy. I'd also overpay slightly to make sure.

    It's very expensive though; £60 cash advance fee and around £40 per month interest at 26.9% APR.

    You'll possibly need:

    1. To make 4 x £500 ATM withdrawals (will they block the card after the 2nd/3rd?)

    2. To visit a branch.

    3. A £4K credit limit, if the max cash balance allowed is 50% of the credit limit.

    You will almost certainly damage your relationship/credit rating with Barclays (and anyone else searching your credit file if the cash balance is reported).
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,155 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    If it's any help, my bank let me have a £3000 overdraft for a few months while I was waiting for some money to come through.
    Could you ask your bank, mine was TSB bless 'em.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old style MoneySaving, Gardening, and Crafting boards. 
     If you need any help on these boards, please let me know.   Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.
     Please report any posts you spot that are in breach of the Forum Rules by using the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • You won't be able to avoid interest. You'll definitely incur a huge fee (about £50 by most card issuer's standards), plus a 20% plus rate of interest on the cash withdrawal - and it'll always be the withdrawal that's paid off last, so you'd have to pay off the whole card to stop paying that silly rate of interest. Really - don't do it.
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    What is your credit limit? Some of my CCs have a 50% cash limit and also a daily withdrawal limit (£300 on one card, for example) so you might not be able to take that much out.
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

    'I do my job, do you do yours?'

This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.