We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Different credit reports with different formats of same address - what should I do?
firsttimestudent
Posts: 401 Forumite
in Credit cards
Hi,
I have obtained my CreditExpert reports recently using the TopCashBack website.
Now my (correct) address is Flat xx, Some House, Interesting Street, Any Town. When I used that to get my credit report, I only noticed 3 of my 9 credit accounts, and it says no electoral roll information.
I looked to my previous report, to the way my address was entered. It is written as House Number xx, Some Street, Interesting District, Any Town. Amending my details on Experian and doing a Credit Report on that resulted in 6 of my 9 credit accounts, with my electoral roll information recorded there properly.
Now,
1) I'm not exactly sure is it a good thing - surely my credit accounts appear 'less', but on the other hand, it means my good behaviour on the accounts will not be seen?
2) If I want to make them appear correctly in the same credit report, what should I do? Do I contact Experian or the banks?
Thanks!
I have obtained my CreditExpert reports recently using the TopCashBack website.
Now my (correct) address is Flat xx, Some House, Interesting Street, Any Town. When I used that to get my credit report, I only noticed 3 of my 9 credit accounts, and it says no electoral roll information.
I looked to my previous report, to the way my address was entered. It is written as House Number xx, Some Street, Interesting District, Any Town. Amending my details on Experian and doing a Credit Report on that resulted in 6 of my 9 credit accounts, with my electoral roll information recorded there properly.
Now,
1) I'm not exactly sure is it a good thing - surely my credit accounts appear 'less', but on the other hand, it means my good behaviour on the accounts will not be seen?
2) If I want to make them appear correctly in the same credit report, what should I do? Do I contact Experian or the banks?
Thanks!
0
Comments
-
This is quite common, particularly where blocks of flats are concerned. The agencies collate data from 3 main sources 1) you 2) public records 3) their clients, the lenders. Obviously, this info is only as accurate as its sources.
I would inspect the electoral roll. You can do this at your nearest public library.* Pay particular attention to the way your details are recorded on the register. First name(s) as well as surname, while you're at it. Also an extra line may be inserted/omitted or the order reversed, as you've discovered, where a block of flats is involved. You'd be surprised how often this happens.
When you apply for credit facilities, bank accounts etc.or to the credit reference agencies, ensure your address matches the details as they appear on the electoral register and you'll avoid all the inconvenience of sending documents through the post as proof of residency, because your ID can be checked electronically using the electoral roll. What's more, your electoral roll status can mean the difference between acceptance and rejection.
*If you opted out of the edited register (which is sold to anyone who wants to buy and which may be viewed in a public library), you can check the full version at your local electoral registration office.People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.0 -
Thanks for your reply.
I have 2 questions here:
a) If you were me, will you intervene and ask them to correct things for me, such that all 9 accounts will be listed? I think the pros will be - good long history of behaviour, the cons will be much higher available credits shown on the credit report (although I must say I think I'm happy with the arsenal of credit accounts I have at the moment -the thing I really wanted is a credit card with no foreign transaction costs, got it already, so I think I'm satisfied for the near future).
b) I am still quite confused with the address thing. Take my current a/c and credit card with LTSB. I remember when moving to this new address, I filled in a change of address form, they took my ID and then sent if off. The LTSB current account is showing up in the House No./Street Name/District report; while the LTSB credit card is showing up in the Flat/House Name/Street Name credit report. Same form, but 2 different 'addresses' in the end. And take my Halifax account, I'm sure when I changed the address, it was Flat/House Name/Street Name that the customer service agent did for me, but it is correctly showing up in Experian at my House No./Street Name/District report (which is also where my electoral roll info is located). How will you approach this?
Thanks!!0 -
firsttimestudent wrote: »If you were me, will you intervene and ask them to correct things for me, such that all 9 accounts will be listed? I think the pros will be - good long history of behaviour, the cons will be much higher available credits shown on the credit report (although I must say I think I'm happy with the arsenal of credit accounts I have at the moment -the thing I really wanted is a credit card with no foreign transaction costs, got it already, so I think I'm satisfied for the near future).
I would leave well alone then, but it's your choice really.
The crucial thing, when you apply for credit facilities, is to use the form of address which will flag up your electoral roll info correctly.;)I am still quite confused with the address thing. Take my current a/c and credit card with LTSB. I remember when moving to this new address, I filled in a change of address form, they took my ID and then sent if off. The LTSB current account is showing up in the House No./Street Name/District report; while the LTSB credit card is showing up in the Flat/House Name/Street Name credit report. Same form, but 2 different 'addresses' in the end. And take my Halifax account, I'm sure when I changed the address, it was Flat/House Name/Street Name that the customer service agent did for me, but it is correctly showing up in Experian at my House No./Street Name/District report (which is also where my electoral roll info is located)People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards