We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

New to credit cards.

Hi,

Im totally new to credit cards. and dont know much about them.

I purchased an item 6 months ago on a 'buy now pay in 6 months' deal.

Since then I've had problems with the car and most of the money saved for the repayment has been spent on the car.

I've seen the page on here show M&S as the best card for 10 months interest free...
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cards/best-0-credit-cards#deals

I hoping to get a card so I can stick £700 on it to pay for the item.

Would I have to pay the £700 back the next month or do they break it down in monthly installments?

Sorry if I sound thick but I have never used a card in my life!

Any help would be great.

Thank you.

Comments

  • leev_21 wrote: »
    I purchased an item 6 months ago on a 'buy now pay in 6 months' deal......
    I hoping to get a card so I can stick £700 on it to pay for the item..

    It is questionable, whether you are allowed to use a credit card to settle the “buy now, pay later” deal. You’ll have to check that out yourself.

    If you get the 0 % CC and if you can use the card to pay for the previous purchase, then you will only have to pay the minimum every month for as long as the 0 % deal runs. Then you will have to pay the entire balance, or you will start getting charged interest on the outstanding monies.
  • leev_21
    leev_21 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    It is questionable, whether you are allowed to use a credit card to settle the “buy now, pay later” deal. You’ll have to check that out yourself.

    If you get the 0 % CC and if you can use the card to pay for the previous purchase, then you will only have to pay the minimum every month for as long as the 0 % deal runs. Then you will have to pay the entire balance, or you will start getting charged interest on the outstanding monies.

    Thanks for the reply.

    I will get in touch with the finance company to see if i can pay on credit card, then apply.

    Thanks
  • sicker
    sicker Posts: 1,370 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    If you get an mbna credit card you will still have to make the minimum repayment each month (£25 on mbna I believe) but you can do a balance transfer to your current account and thus pay off your 'buy now pay later' deal. You will of course first have to be accepted for a card and if you are DO clear the balance for any 0% balanse transfer deal runs out or you will be back to square one.
  • leev_21
    leev_21 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    How long does it take from the start of application to actually receiving the credit card?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.