We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Credit Card Balances - Pay off Monthly

Hi,

I've been wary of credit cards but then a friend pointed out that as long as you pay off the entire balance every month its like having free credit. And add to that with some of the cashback cards/point based rewards it like getting freebies.

My question is - do people manage to pay off the entire balance every month ? Is this the norm ?
«1

Comments

  • nzseries1
    nzseries1 Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    If you are disciplined, and don't spend any more than you would have anyway, and pay the balance off in full each month without fail, then yes it is like getting freebies!

    I used to be bad at paying only part payments, but then I realised the interest I was getting charged each month and now I pay the entire balance off in full, no exceptions.
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • I did at the start but then very slowly it crept up and up and up until I owed £5000

    If you are planning on having one then make sure you have a direct debit set up to automatically pay it all off - that way it gets paid.
  • Natti_A
    Natti_A Posts: 190 Forumite
    I have struggled to pay off the full balance monthly, so i reduced my credit limit to £350 which i can now nearly always pay off fully each month.

    If i need to do a big purchase on a card, i always call up in advance and see if i can get a larger limit. Once its paid off i put it back down again!
    Credit Card 6.9% - £0/£2800
    Graduate OD 19.9% - [STRIKE]£1000[/STRIKE] Paid off Sept 11 :beer:

    Sealed Pot Challenger #598
    Pay off as much as you can 2012 #69
  • Moggles_2
    Moggles_2 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Natti_A wrote: »
    I have struggled to pay off the full balance monthly, so I reduced my credit limit to £350, which I can now nearly always pay off fully each month. If I need to do a big purchase on a card, I always call up in advance and see if I can get a larger limit. Once it's paid off, I put it back down again!

    I would think carefully before you reduce a limit like this, which is already modest. It isn't always possible, in the current economic climate, to re-instate some of the old limit should you change your mind later.

    What's more if you accidently exceed the limit, you've broken the terms of your agreement, which has more serious consequences than going over your budget.

    With today's online facilities, it's never been easier to keep track of your spending from day to day ;)
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 30,124 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    as you pay off the entire balance every month its like having free credit

    This is true for purchases but not for "cash".
    That means cash from an ATM (obvious) but also purchasing foreign currency, on-line gambling sites and might in some cases include vouchers.

    I think the posts above show that credit cards can be very useful if well managed.
    You also get some protection under the consumer credit act, so if the company goes bust and the item is pver £100 then you are covered.

    However if not well managed then credit cards can lead to a downward spiral because the interest mounts up and adds to the debt.

    So it really is key to be disciplined.
    If you follow the very simple rule of "Don't buy anything you wouldn't purchase anyway" then you'll be fine.
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,332 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I have only ever spent what I can repay so I do clear my balance every month. If I cant afford it then I dont buy it. Average monthly balance between our 2 main cards is approx £1000 which is cleared by direct debit.

    I find credit cards very useful for buying everything I need. We've got a Amex cashback card which will return some amount at the end of 12 months. If you are the kind of person who buys things without thinking then I would be careful as others have said. If you are disciplined then go for it but if it starts to create a problem cut the card up immediately, clear the balance as soon as you and the then avoid for a while until you are ready to try again.
  • anna42hmr
    anna42hmr Posts: 2,907 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    mehak_327 wrote: »
    Hi,

    I've been wary of credit cards but then a friend pointed out that as long as you pay off the entire balance every month its like having free credit. And add to that with some of the cashback cards/point based rewards it like getting freebies.

    My question is - do people manage to pay off the entire balance every month ? Is this the norm ?

    i do, all my cards (bar a 0% one i am paying a set amount each month) are set up for a direct debit for the full balence each month
    MFW#105 - 2015 Overpaid £8095 / 2016 Overpaid £6983.24 / 2017 Overpaid £3583.12 / 2018 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2019 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2020 Overpaid £2583.12/ 2021 overpaid £1506.82 /2022 Overpaid £2975.28 / 2023 Overpaid £2677.30 / 2024 Overpaid £2173.61 Total OP since mortgage started in 2015 = £37,286.86 2025 MFW target £1700, payments to date at April 2025 - £1712.07..
  • withnell
    withnell Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    All my cards pay off full balance each month - just think of it like not having to carry cash around, just make sure you don't spend more than you would anyway. You also get the extra savings interest on the money until the bin comes!
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    I didn't use to pay my CCs in full every month. However, I am clearing my main card in big chunks and once cleared it will be paid off in full every month. I really resent paying interest :D
  • Geenie
    Geenie Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    CC's are a great tool if you use them wisely. They make life so much easier for buying online and paying for something large in one go, plus you get added protection. They also enable you to keep your money in an account earning interest, ( :rolleyes: well they did at one time) a month or so longer then paying for something up front with cash.

    However, as others have stated, you need to be very disciplined and not spend more on it then you can afford to pay off each month, else whatever you have bought will have cost a whole lot more by the end. I have only ever had 1 CC, though I have been offered countless others and storecards over the years. Fortunately, I have always been a gal who can say NO.


    "Life is difficult. Life is a series of problems. What makes life difficult is that the process of confronting and solving problems is a painful one." M Scott Peck. The Road Less Travelled.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.