Valentines Weekend in Glasgow

Hi

We have booked a hotel in Glasgow city centre for 2 nights over valentines and wonder if anyone has some really good recommendations of places to eat for a really nice valentines meal.

Don't want to book Chinese/Indian/Italian/Spanish, looking more for a regular restaurant with a good variety of quality food on their menu. No nouvelle cuisine, no set menus with only duck parfait, seared sea bass and braised veal, just somewhere that has a nice few chicken dishes, some beef dishes, some fish variety and good steaks, and all the regular type of stuff, but at the best quality and service possible. That possibly makes it sound like I am looking for a regular bar menu, but i'm not. I want the best of the best but without too much of the pretence and fancy wording on the menu.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• You should try Grill on the Corner! You can book online on their website - its a great place and its near the central train station.
    Summer Sizzler Challenge 2009 bronze level = £387.25 (23/06/2009)
  • cazziebo
    cazziebo Posts: 3,209 Forumite
    Good recommendation from Miss Saver. The Living Room (St Vincent St) also fits with what you are looking for. Gamba is fabulous but majors on fish, although steaks are excellent too.

A few years ago I had a really good meal at the restaurant on the top floor of the Carlton George hotel which was very good. Just looked it up and seen they're doing a special Valentine's meal so not what you want.

Glasgow has a lot of excellent smaller restaurants , but don't think they would offer the range of food you're looking for.

(Good choice going to Glasgow for Valentines. Allegedly, the bones of St Valentine are there)

Bimble onto www.5pm.co.uk and noodle about til
    you get a list of many Glasgow restaurants (a lot
    show their menu).

Lunchtime usually offers a better deal.

Otherwise, some of the more notable ones;

City Centre:
    Chardon D'Or
    Michael Caine at Abode?
    The Trees (1 up on UNion St for Homely Greasy Spoon)

West-ish:
    Two Fat Ladies at the Buttery

West End:
    Ubiquitous Chip
    One Devonshire Gardens

Wild West:
    The Cabin, Whiteinch

Amongst many other pubs, you could check out
    the Imperial Bar on Howard St for normality
    or Black Sparrow on North St for the latest thing

Hope it goes well.

• There's a deli on Byres Rd called Heart Buchanan that does an amazing Valentines menu. I never try to go to restaurants on Valentines day - esp a Saturday. I also rely on Heart Buchanan's wine selection, not massive but never had a dud yet.

OK they're not a restaurant - but they do restaurant quality food and it seems much more imaginative than most of the usual. It's all locally produced - the staff are great. If you're in a hotel then I recommened that you get a couple of starters (cold) from them and a bottle of fizz. Then have it in the comfort of your room, and head to Little Italy for a 'slice' before going down to the Ben Nevis on Argyle St. The thing about Val's day is the people you meet and all have great staff and a good vibe.

Heart Buchanan on Byres Rd also does the best eggs benedict I've ever had and I've lived in new york for 2 years.

Whatever you do, I hope you have a lovely time x
  • magfo
    magfo Posts: 70
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for your replies. Well I am pleased to see that a few names have popped up that we have in fact booked now.

Firstly, it is the Carlton George Hotel that we are staying at, really loooking forward to it as you get a complimentary mini bar and free refreshements in the lounge. Their menu however is a bit pricey and really not what we are after.

But I did come accross The Grill on the Corner and loved the look of it. So we have our table booked for 9pm on valentines day. ay we will just get something in the hotel or close by, nothing too fancy so that saturday night is extra special.

Cant wait to go on friday!

:)

I'd have to mention that Eggs Benedict at Tapa Southside on Pollokshaws Rd in Strathbungo are pretty good as well. Also mean coffee (and at their Dennistoun HQ on Whitehill Street too).

If you like polished wood, The Steps Bar on Glassford St. is worth ¼ hr of your time. BTW, not too far away is the University of Strathclyde's James Weir Building on Montrose Street now used as the external location for the copshop in TV Policier 'Taggart'. Maybe some youngsters will be practising Urban Running at the Rottenrow Gardens across the way.

If you like modern design things, the Lighthouse on Mitchell Lane is free on Saturdays, then you can blow the savings at Bar 10, just opposite, whilst analysing the textile exhibition.

Have a nice time.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport