Storage company damaged my furniture

Options
Just a bit of advice from the good people that come on here..i have had my furniture in storage for quite some time and it has been returned today but when it came back to my house today the settee was damaged ,the arm was all squashed in and it looks deformed,,,i pointed it out to the employee and he took a foto and wrote it down on a form ..i have emailed the company and attatched a picture,,so i have asked then to ring me tomorrow regarding this...were do i stand on things like this?????

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would think that their insurance would have to cover it. Would it possibly repair. I wouldnt worry about it too much until they contact you.
    I wonder why the employee had a camera with him or is it something that is normal for removal firms to do just in case this sort of thing happens.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Ladybird20
    Options
    i will post back when they ring tomorrow
  • Suzy_M
    Suzy_M Posts: 777 Forumite
    Options
    As a warning to others - This damage sounds as though it was caused by up-ending the sofa on one end. This is standard practice apparently. It may be OK for a short journey within the same town or area but not for longer ones or storage - and definitely not for good quality or antique stuff.

To reduce the risk of this type of damage stipulate it should not be done when first dealing with a removal firm and if they won't do it find another.
  • Ladybird20
    Options
    yes i think thats exactly what happened,,but today they rang me and gave me a claim form to fill in,,the thing is though the company i bought the sofa off has gone bust so i cant get a like for like replacement,,,so i dont know were i go from here really,,i do have legal cover on my house insurance so maybe i better fone them
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, good idea. Not sure where you stand with company going into liquidation but your own contents may insure it if you cant claim from the company. Good luck
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport