We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Section 75 protection
BobBrown
Posts: 2 Newbie
in Credit cards
I paid £1900 via my First Direct Visa credit card for a Pioneer Plasma TV from Empire Direct at their Doncaster store last Wednesday, they had none in stock and I was told they were expecting stock early February, but as we all now know, that ain't gonna happen and I won't get my TV but ED debited my card immediately.
I've been onto First Direct and they say nothing can be done until 30 days after the transaction date unless ED or it's Administrators advise me before then that they will not be supplying the TV or reimbursing me. The problem with that is my next credit card payment is due before the 30 days are up and if I don't pay the £1900 off I will have to pay a substantial amount of interest. It was my intention to pay off the balance until this lot blew up but I am now reluctant to do this unless I can be certain that First Direct will reimburse me. First Direct have told me they will not reimburse any interest I pay on the £1900.
So basically, (a) In the circumstances am I stitched on to get my £1900 reimbursed under 'section 75'? (b) Are First Direct correct in refusing to do anything until 30 days after the transaction ?. (c) Are First Direct correct in refusing to reimburse any interest I incur ?.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I've been onto First Direct and they say nothing can be done until 30 days after the transaction date unless ED or it's Administrators advise me before then that they will not be supplying the TV or reimbursing me. The problem with that is my next credit card payment is due before the 30 days are up and if I don't pay the £1900 off I will have to pay a substantial amount of interest. It was my intention to pay off the balance until this lot blew up but I am now reluctant to do this unless I can be certain that First Direct will reimburse me. First Direct have told me they will not reimburse any interest I pay on the £1900.
So basically, (a) In the circumstances am I stitched on to get my £1900 reimbursed under 'section 75'? (b) Are First Direct correct in refusing to do anything until 30 days after the transaction ?. (c) Are First Direct correct in refusing to reimburse any interest I incur ?.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
0
Comments
-
(a) You'll get either your TV or your money back, yes.
(b) Not sure of the timescale, but they're well within their rights to insist you give it time (I would assume?).
(c) IMHO, yes. They've loaned you money. The fact that you've not had your goods (yet) is not *yet* their problem.
There's lots of information on section 75, including case studies, on the OFT website...which has a useful search facility.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards