Condenser Dryers - Advice Please

Options
We have a Whirlpool condenser dryer, 2 years old, cost a fortune new.

It's begun taking maybe 2-3 settings of 120 minutes to dry a load. They are quite large loads I guess (as my washing machine has extra capacity, what with having a baby and needing clean nappies night & day).

Is this normal? And if not, is there anything I can do about it?
"Biologically speaking, if something bites you it's more likely to be female." - Desmond Morris

Comments

• lovethymini
    Options
    That sounds like aaaaaaaages, ring Whirlpool and ask their advice!

I've got one too, but I stick everything on the clothes airer first to save electricity/money and finish it off in the dryer if necessary. Mine's not drying at all at the mo, no heat. Waiting for hubby to look at it... :rolleyes:

Hope you get it sorted, it would be quicker to use the hairdryer :D
  • Maddiesmummy_2
    Options
    Thanks..I might ring them in a mo...

I do use my airer, but it's already at full capacity at the mo and still damp, just can't get stuff dry quickly enough, and baby has a sickness bug and I've been going through nappies, vests and bed linen like nobody's business!
    "Biologically speaking, if something bites you it's more likely to be female." - Desmond Morris
  • dottylotty
    Options
    My old one was doing that, and I thought it was normal until it finally gave up the ghost and I was fed up getting it repaired. I bought a new one and couldnt believe the difference! Only need it on once now for 90-120 mins depending on whats going in. I also have a large washing machine (8.5kg). So I would say no its not normal...but Im not sure what you can do other than replace it, sorry!
    Although I could have initially saved money by repairing my old one and not buying new Im so glad I didnt as this has saved me well over the money forked out for a new one with the amount of electricity I was using.....and then theres the whole build up of washing thats a complete nightmare!!
    My problem now is the pile of ironing instead lol
  • cjmarcantonio
    Options
    I've had a couple of instances over the years with that very problem. Thought about just cutting my losses and replacing it.
    But being a bit tight I suppose - i tried a few repair companies. Found a company called Repair Care, never dealt with 'em before. Guaranteed a repair for under £100 (obciously work dependant). Worth checking them out anyway, www.repaircare.co.uk
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's not good for the motor of a washine machine or tumble dryer to overload it. Plus you need hot air to flow around the clothes to dry them, and it can't if you are overloading the drum.

If the drum is going round as normal then there may be a problem with the heating element. Dryer balls are supposed to work well for getting clothes dry more quickly, or consider buying another airer - IKEA do a massive sturdy one for around £20!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • vanilla8
    vanilla8 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My mums was doing the same thing-taking ages to dry. Luckily just within warranty so a whirlpool engineer came out and replaced a part-think it is the part that senses how dry the clothes are- hence the machine was not drying properly as it thought the clthes were dry already! Works fine now
  • richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Two things you need to do with a condenser dryer.

Ensure the filters are clean. And lastly depending on use, perhaps once a month or so you need to remove the condenser cartridge and flush it out under high pressure water. I.e Hose pipe or power shower... you will be amazed at how much fluff and lint comes out of it.

THe reason it isnt working is that the condenser section contains metal plates which have cool air from the room going over them, if water cant condense on here due to fluff building up on the plates then your drier will take longer and longer to dry clothes until you notice a drop in performance or complete loss of performance!

So before you call the engineer in check the above! There is very little to go wrong so if theres heat inside it then you know the problem!!!

It should also state this in the manual!
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure