We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Best cashback credit card?
DemiDee
Posts: 529 Forumite
in Credit cards
I currently have a few credit cards, but I nearly always use my Barclaycard (formerly Goldfish, formerly Morgan Stanley) because it offers 1% cashback on the first £200 per month spent, and then 0.5% thereafter. I think that's pretty good in this climate. Does anyone know of a better deal out there?
Many thanks,
Dee
Many thanks,
Dee
0
Comments
-
Depending on how much you spend, the Amex one can be better. But it's not accepted everywhere, which is a bit of a pain.0
-
[STRIKE]Egg money is 1% for all spend[/STRIKE]. The Amex is great for the first 3 months (5% up to £4000 spend), then drops to between 0.5% and 1.5% depending on spend. I find that many more places take Amex now, though some still don't.
edit: the egg money card no longer seems to be available.
Check Martin's guide on cashback cards:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cards/cashback-credit-cardsRunning Club targets 20105KM - 21:00 21:55 (59.19%)10KM - 44:00 --:-- (0%)Half-Marathon - 1:45:00 HIT! 1:43:08 (57.84%)Marathon - 3:45:00 --:-- (0%)0 -
Citi give 1% cashback off your petrol bill (plus 3% at Shell garages), so if you drive it can be worth it...0
-
Many thanks Beer. BUT is that 5% just for the first three months upon opening the account, or 5% for the first lot spent each January? If it's just for the opening of the card only, then I've been there, done that and definitely got the t-shirt!
Dee0 -
Many thanks Beer. BUT is that 5% just for the first three months upon opening the account, or 5% for the first lot spent each January? If it's just for the opening of the card only, then I've been there, done that and definitely got the t-shirt!
5% for the first 3 months of the first year up to £4,000 spend.
Then, for the rest of the first year and for each subsequent year (until they change the offer).
0.5% on first £3,500 of spend
1% on next £6500
1.5% on everything above £10,001 spend in total in the year.
I believe the spend on the 5% intro counts against the annual spend, so if you spend £3,500+ in the first three months, the next bit starts at 1%.0 -
That's really useful Paul. I should know all of this because I've got an AMEX card, but after being unable to use it in several places, I gave up and got a Morgan Stanley one.
Sorry to be stupid, but is the 'first three months' always Jan-March? And do these criteria apply to all of the AMEX cards? Mine is an AMEX Blue.
Many thanks for all your help - this board is invaluable!
Dee x0 -
The first 3 months is an introductory offer, so when you open the account, you get 3 months at 5%, you don't get 3 months at 5% every year. So no, its not always January to March, it all depends on when you open the account.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards