We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Am I still covered by section 75 if I close the cc account?

The title says it all really.... wonder if anyone knows this?
I've paid for some cheap flights using my Abbey cc purely to protect myself in case the airline does an 'XL'. I really want to close the card though, because the rate's high, and I won't use it again unlesss they offer me some new deal (which they won't after asking twice). I don't want to close the card if I then won't be covered by section 75 (or whatever it's called)
Any ideas?
Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 784 - Proud to be dealing with my debts

Comments

  • dhassen
    dhassen Posts: 759 Forumite
    anyone know this?
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 784 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • I don't know the answer. Good question though.

    But why not just keep the card until after you've taken the flights. Is there any reason you must use it? I've got plenty of cards I don't use. My only concen is having too much credit available might impact on trying to more credit... for stoozing of course.

    Jen
    x
  • dazza.mk
    dazza.mk Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    You should be, see below link for someone who had same issue with speedferries.

    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1288659&highlight=section+75

    That isn't to say that it might be more difficult getting Abbey to honour their Section 75 liabilities at a later date!
  • dhassen
    dhassen Posts: 759 Forumite
    Hmm thanks for the replies guys. The flights are in July / August so it wouldn't hurt too much if I just keep the account open until then. I did want to close the account down ASAP because I've paid it off, and I'm not really happy with Abbey or the CC. Also, for the available credit thing, I'll want to apply for more 0% cards in the future (near future probably), and didn't want the abbey card sat there unused on my credit file.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 784 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • I was interested by this so I called my lender and they had no idea what would happen. They seemed to think that if you cancel the account you would be liable but they had no clue very unhelpful!

    Best get on the phone to your lender and try and get transferred to someone who does know. Sorry I couldn't help any further hope you find out soon best of luck

    Karen
    moneywebsearch
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.