We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

A credit card shuffle, any ideas?

Ok, as my mortgage is going to drop by £200 per month soon (march) I have desided to get all credit card debt cleared. THis may take all year and maybe into next depending on how things go. (obviously am assuming mine and my husbands jobs stay there and intrest rates stay where they are or lower till the end of the year, but can only plan with what I have)

So I have
  1. Tesco - 2743/3000 - all on basic rate
  2. Barclaycard - 2687/4450 - 1125 about to come off 0% - 1562 on life balance
  3. HSBC - 0/4500 (this is where my current account is)
  4. Nationwide - 0/800
  5. Debenhams credit card - 0/?
Ideally I want to get the debt which isnt on an offer, so part of barclaycard and all of tesco, on offer but am not so keen on getting another card. Am afraid of being told no and it effecting my credit rating. (altho I got the debenhams mastercard on the christmas run up for the extra 10%)

My thoughts were to transfer the barclay card debt (about to run out) and tesco debt possibly to hsbc but suspect I wont get a deal.

But previously I have gotten no transfer fee on both tesco and barclaycard for life time low rates.

While I can give HSBC a ring, can I in theory, transfer the money out, and then transfer it back to get in on the low rate for life?

(Also, add about £170 as my husbands scooter just broke and the head gasket needs fixing)
The will to save every money saving penny we can

Comments

  • Fliss_M
    Fliss_M Posts: 705 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Just to add, have talked to HSBC, they have no deals they are willing to offer me and any transfer would be at the standard rate and charge 2.5%
    The will to save every money saving penny we can
  • Eydon
    Eydon Posts: 599 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    Looks like your option then is limited to transferring to a new card. All you can do is apply. One rejection isn't going to trash your credit rating.

    Consider the Virgin Money card (ran by MBNA) - 0% for 16 months with a 2.98% fee. Worst they can do is say no.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.