We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Halifax not re-issuing my credit card
kathryn_1
Posts: 35 Forumite
in Credit cards
Hi
I'm just abit confused about this and wondering if someone can clarify this for me. My credit card expired in September and the Halifax have said they will not be sending me a new one because I have 12 late payments in 14 years. I owed £3,500 on the card and now that I am working I have paid off a substantial amount off the debt. Hopefully it will all be paid off by the end of June. Now the confusing part, on my monthly statements it still shows that I have £15,000 available credit and have recently received some of those cheques that you can use instead of the credit card, which I never use anyway.
My question is will my credit rating be affected even if I clear my debt? Also will this make it difficult for me to get a credit card with someone else? I've learnt my lesson about running up to much debt but would like another card just in case of emergencies. I am up to date with my mortgage and have never missed a payment and my bank account is in credit.
I'm just abit confused about this and wondering if someone can clarify this for me. My credit card expired in September and the Halifax have said they will not be sending me a new one because I have 12 late payments in 14 years. I owed £3,500 on the card and now that I am working I have paid off a substantial amount off the debt. Hopefully it will all be paid off by the end of June. Now the confusing part, on my monthly statements it still shows that I have £15,000 available credit and have recently received some of those cheques that you can use instead of the credit card, which I never use anyway.
My question is will my credit rating be affected even if I clear my debt? Also will this make it difficult for me to get a credit card with someone else? I've learnt my lesson about running up to much debt but would like another card just in case of emergencies. I am up to date with my mortgage and have never missed a payment and my bank account is in credit.
0
Comments
-
Your credit rating will not be affected any more than it has been if you continue making payments each month and clear you account. Once it has been paid off in full it will be marked as "settlted" on your file.0
-
Hello
Halifax did the same to me in November 2007. I wasn't using the card at the time but had missed a few payments but go the card back under its limit and started making regular payments etc. In April 2008 I paid off the £2950 balance. Two months later they reduced the limit to £500 and issued me with a new card.
Sainsburys Visa did the same - they sent me a letter saying they will not be sending me a new card. I called and queried this and they said it would be reviewed in a few months. Sure enough 5 months later a new card dropped through the letter box??
Didn't really make much difference to me either way as i hadn't used the crad for a long time.:j0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards