We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
American express to Virgin?
The_Jester
Posts: 230 Forumite
in Credit cards
I'm not quite sure how to work this out and wonder if someone can help me?
I have an American express cc with a balance of £2100. I pay 4.9% for the life of the balance. Would it be worth my while transferring this balance to the new virgin cc recently advertised at 0% interest foe 18 months?
I realise the fee for transferring this balance would be around £63. I would intend paying this amount in full over the 18 months.
I can't really work this out if it would be worth my while. Can someone help please?
I have an American express cc with a balance of £2100. I pay 4.9% for the life of the balance. Would it be worth my while transferring this balance to the new virgin cc recently advertised at 0% interest foe 18 months?
I realise the fee for transferring this balance would be around £63. I would intend paying this amount in full over the 18 months.
I can't really work this out if it would be worth my while. Can someone help please?
0
Comments
-
It depends how much you pay off a month and how quickly you start paying.
Assuming you make equal payments of £150 per month, you clear the debt in 15 months and both options cost you the same (give or take a few pounds).
If you're going to pay more than £150 a month or make larger payments at the start, you should leave it where it is.
If you're going to pay less than £150 a month, or make small payments at the start and large payments later, you should transfer.0 -
The Virgin Money card is 16 months, not 18 months (unless you know of a special offer?).
If you were to pay £140 per month over the 16 month period the 0% card is better by only £7.36
However, if you were to pay only the minimum £25 on the Virgin card, and save the other £115 in a regular savings account, you'd make yourself another £30 or so in interest over the first 12 months...so you'd be around £40 up.
Plug your details into this 'is it worth it?' balance transfer savings calculator...
http://www.makesenseofcards.co.uk/btcalc.html0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards