Anyone used 'Set In Stone','Universal Granite' or 'Granite Fitters'?

Options
Hi all,

Well, I'm close to deciding on which Granite/Quartz worktop company to use and am just wondering if any of you have used any of these companies and can advise on what you thought of them please?

I have also had a good quote from another firm called 'Granite Offers' if anyone has heard of them too?

'G/O' don't seem to have a whole lot of info though TBH - they do have their own site and are also are on eBay but are quite new so have 0% feedback, whereas the other 3 both are on eBay with less than 100 FB's but all at 100% and also have their own websites - with Univ's being very informative.

The girl on the phone at SIS was very knowledgeable too though.

Any tips? :)

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,072 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    zero feedback on ebay means that either they are new (risky, but everyone has to start somewhere) or that their previous ID was clogged with bad feedback so they have started again (very risky).

Either way, I would want better feedback than that for an expensive purchase.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Scottie_dog_2
    Options
    I've just had mine done (yesterday) by Universal.
    I'm very pleased - it looks fantastic.
    I had similar quotes from Mr Marble and Diapol (who quote on their website.)
    It cost £1250 and they threw in a windowsill.
    But the main reason I chose them was because they just have fitters fitting granite everyday - they are not contractors - as others use.
    The actual granite (black star galaxy) from India is very good quality (I did the lemon juice test) and they are very knowledgeable about it.
    Also I liked it that they came round for a free survey and did not want money till the job was done and complete.
    And no I don't work for them - anyone that pm's me can see photos if they like.
    I would be very careful about very cheap quotes - this will be inferior granite from China probably - ask them for a sample to see for yourself. Quality costs unfortunately.
  • TDA10
    TDA10 Posts: 355 Forumite
    Options
    Having decided to opt for Quartz (as I want a black mirror effect one and mirror Granite ones apparently don't exist - only gold flecked granite ones), I just wanted to know if there are any tests I should be doing on the samples I've had sent through?

I know you do the lemon juice and teabag tests on granite, but not sure if same for Quartz?

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure