We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
OK, how the flip have Egg managed this??
heavy_t
Posts: 59 Forumite
in Credit cards
Can anyone who is more competent than I with maths help me with this? The interest amount charged on my Egg credit card bill has gone up despite the balance being a fair bit lower and the rates not changing. As below (I am not paying PPI and the interest is always applied on the statement date:
Statement: Nov 18 2008
Opening balance: £3469.47 DR
Payment Nov 3rd: £69.39 CR
Merch interest @1.667 per month: £44.45 DR
Cash interest @ 1.941 per month: £16.15 DR
Closing balance : £3460.68 DR
Total interest £60.60
OK, so the closing balance is £9 lower. I'll expect the interest to be a bit lower on the next one....
-
Statement: Dec 18 2008
Opening balance: £3460.68 DR
Payment Dec 02 £69.21 CR
Merch interest @1.667 per month: £42.83 DR
Cash interest @1.941 per month: £15.62 DR
Closing balance : £3449.92 DR
Total interest: £58.45
All seems OK. A couple of quid less interest.
-
Statement: Jan 18 2009
Opening balance: £3449.92 DR
Payment Jan 02 £92.95 CR
Merch interest @1.667 per month: £43.87 DR
Cash interest @1.941 per month: £16.14 DR
Closing balance : £3416.98 DR
Total interest: £60.01
The interest rate's not indicated as having changed. No other charges are indicated, so how are they doing it? :mad: I have not used the card for any purchases etc. in this time.
Statement: Nov 18 2008
Opening balance: £3469.47 DR
Payment Nov 3rd: £69.39 CR
Merch interest @1.667 per month: £44.45 DR
Cash interest @ 1.941 per month: £16.15 DR
Closing balance : £3460.68 DR
Total interest £60.60
OK, so the closing balance is £9 lower. I'll expect the interest to be a bit lower on the next one....
-
Statement: Dec 18 2008
Opening balance: £3460.68 DR
Payment Dec 02 £69.21 CR
Merch interest @1.667 per month: £42.83 DR
Cash interest @1.941 per month: £15.62 DR
Closing balance : £3449.92 DR
Total interest: £58.45
All seems OK. A couple of quid less interest.
-
Statement: Jan 18 2009
Opening balance: £3449.92 DR
Payment Jan 02 £92.95 CR
Merch interest @1.667 per month: £43.87 DR
Cash interest @1.941 per month: £16.14 DR
Closing balance : £3416.98 DR
Total interest: £60.01
The interest rate's not indicated as having changed. No other charges are indicated, so how are they doing it? :mad: I have not used the card for any purchases etc. in this time.
Bank charges reclaimed:
£2160 - First Direct
£415 plus court fee - HFC Credit card
£409 + costs + 8% interest RBS Credit card
PPI reclaimed:
£12541.82 from First Direct.
£2160 - First Direct
£415 plus court fee - HFC Credit card
£409 + costs + 8% interest RBS Credit card
PPI reclaimed:
£12541.82 from First Direct.
0
Comments
-
Are there more days between the statement date and "interest being added" date? Since Dec has 31 days, Nov has 30 days.0
-
hhmmmm, my 1st thought is that you paid your £92.95 later in the month so accrued a few extra days of interest on a higher amount.
The £3460.68 was outstanding for a longer period in the month than the £3469.47 was the month before.
It may have been due to the amount of bank holidays over the xmas period.I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
& Choo Choo for trains!!0 -
Without having done any calculations, I would hazard a guess that your Dec interest is lower than expected rather than the Jan interest being higher since a reduction in the balance of £9 wouldn't reduce the interest by £2.
That being the case, I would guess the Dec interest is lower because there are only 30 days in Nov, so you are paying 1 day less interest.Nice to save.0 -
Oops, the last payment I made was Jan 02nd. I have amended the last statement as I had put it down as Dec 02.Bank charges reclaimed:
£2160 - First Direct
£415 plus court fee - HFC Credit card
£409 + costs + 8% interest RBS Credit card
PPI reclaimed:
£12541.82 from First Direct.0 -
I'm going to go with The_Bhoy's explanation for now then. I have asked Egg to explain it to me.
Given this daily application of interest, I think it makes sense (as I get paid on the 25 of the month or slightly earlier depending on weekends) to make the payment as soon as I get paid rather than having an automatic DD on the 2ndBank charges reclaimed:
£2160 - First Direct
£415 plus court fee - HFC Credit card
£409 + costs + 8% interest RBS Credit card
PPI reclaimed:
£12541.82 from First Direct.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards