We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Best option for single large purchase?
Red_Rocket
Posts: 57 Forumite
in Credit cards
Hi there. I'm looking for some advice for the best way of paying for an imminent largeish purchase.
I currently have no credit cards (never had one in fact) and within a week or so, am planning on getting an engagement ring (Mum's the word...). Luckily, I've been saving and will have almost all the money available to pay off the amount within a month at the latest.
So my question is, is it worth getting a credit card to make the purchase, rather than pay by debit card? If so, would it be in my interests to plump for a 0% interest on new purchases card, or a cashback card (bearing in mind the 5% cashback amex card isn't an option)?
This is an area I am not very knowledgeable on, so any advice would be greatly appreciated in this stressful (yet exciting) period. Many thanks.
I currently have no credit cards (never had one in fact) and within a week or so, am planning on getting an engagement ring (Mum's the word...). Luckily, I've been saving and will have almost all the money available to pay off the amount within a month at the latest.
So my question is, is it worth getting a credit card to make the purchase, rather than pay by debit card? If so, would it be in my interests to plump for a 0% interest on new purchases card, or a cashback card (bearing in mind the 5% cashback amex card isn't an option)?
This is an area I am not very knowledgeable on, so any advice would be greatly appreciated in this stressful (yet exciting) period. Many thanks.
never knowingly underwhelmed.
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards