We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Advice- should I default to get a CC?

HI all

Its not as bad as it sounds! Dont worry :D

I have closed all my credit cards as I paid them off as I was becoming debt free.

I really need a credit card, as we want to hire a car in USA later this year. IN 08 we hired a car in the states on a debit card, but we paid well over the odds for it, and I reckon we spent over 100 quid extra on the car due to this ( as the cheaper places wouldnt hire to us)

I had tried to get a CC from my bank before I left for the US ( coop/ smile) and they refused as they are not giving out CCs atm.

OH was phoned from natwest a few days ago asking if hew wanted one, and he said YES! and they have written to him saying no.

Parents reckon that we are to good with money to be offered a CC- they wont make money out of us.

Our credit ratings are good, we have no debt apart from 0% ODs, that we sometimes use, we both have mobile phone accounts- paid in full on DD, and I have a next account. I got the next account hoping to get VIP sale.

Next are trying to charge me for a catalogue that I never recieved. I have not got round to sorting this out properly but I currently owe them about £4.00


IS it advisable to "default" on this next account - to make our CR slighlty worse, so we might be offered a CC?

If this isnt a goer Ill sort the next account out and not use it again.

Advice please!
:beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
This Ive come to know...
So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:

Comments

  • For £4? No, it's not worth having a default on your record.

    Write to them and put it in dispute - I believe (possibly incorrectly) that they shouldn't record is on your credit history until it's resolved.

    Personally, I'd probably pay the £4, close the account and write to customer services telling them why I'm never going to shop with them again. They'll probably refund the £4 as an act of good will anyway.

    And, no, defualting isn't going to help you get a credit card. Just apply to someone else. There are plenty of companies that will want your trade.
  • TFD_2
    TFD_2 Posts: 907 Forumite
    lynzpower wrote: »
    IS it advisable to "default" on this next account - to make our CR slighlty worse, so we might be offered a CC?

    No. No. No. No. No.!

    You won't have been declined a card because your credit rating is too good. You will have been declined because your overall credit score was too low.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    No .. pay the £4... OH is not being refused because his credit file is too good...CC companies make money out of good payers as the retailers have to pay commission... remember although it may not be true of these boards but about 50% of CC holders pay in full every month.

    It's more likely (although you don't say) that he has no other CCs.
    Get copies of credit files to see what's on them.
    I would suggest you try your bank again or Cap one, barclay initial etc for 'beginners'.
    EU tariff on agricultual product 12.2%
    some dairy products 42.1% cloths 11.4%
    EU Clinical Trials Directive stops medical advances
  • seeya23
    seeya23 Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    try flybe card
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    thanks for the advice :)

    He did have debts but theyve been paid off!

    Ill sort out the next account- its more that I havent got round to it more than anything else.

    Its jsut driving me mad- it effects the CR doesnt it when weve been declined.

    Is it less likely that we will get CCs where we have savings?
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Savings don't appear on your credit history, so they make no difference (except possibly with the bank you hold the saving with, though they may not be allowed to use that information.)

    If you make lots of applications in a short period of time, it can be a problem. But the searches only stay on file for 12 months, so it's a short term thing. And if there's only been one recent search, another is unlikely to be a problem.
  • Are you on the electoral roll? If you're not then sign up ASAP.
  • TFD_2
    TFD_2 Posts: 907 Forumite
    lynzpower wrote: »
    Its jsut driving me mad- it effects the CR doesnt it when weve been declined.

    Not as such, any application affects your credit rating, but there is no indication on the record whether it is an acceptance or a decline.
  • Next tried to charge my son £4 for their cat too. He told them he didn't request it which he didn't so they wrote the £4 off. Phone them, worth a shot but not worth ruining your credit rating for. Well done for having no debt, must be a great feeling:)
    Wow, I got 3 *, when did that happen :j:T:p
    It is not illegal to open another persons mail unless you intend to commit fraud - this is frequently incorrectly posted:)
    I live in my head - I find it's safer there:p
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.