We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

CC, loan - new car?!?

2»

Comments

  • TFD_2
    TFD_2 Posts: 907 Forumite
    loftty wrote: »
    Good point. But if I can get away with paying less interest surely that can only be a good thing.
    I think I'm just looking for reassurance really, to make sure what I'm thinking is the right thing to do.
    I hate being in debt-who doesn't?-but its a necessary evil!

    Yeah definitely if you can pay for some of the car via 0% card it would save money (assuming it is a card that allows you to transfer the cash to a current account). Just bear in mind if you haven't cleared the balance when the offer ends, you will need to find another card to transfer this onto, or maybe then look at extending the loan.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    It seems to me like you might be falling into the classic trap...consolidate your debts into a loan and then start again. Except this time you've 50% more debt than you started with...just one or two short months ago.

    Yes, you'll have a newer car...but newer cars break down as well.

    And (if it was directed at me, TFD) I'm not being self-righteous, just trying to sound the warning bells.


    EDIT: Post your question on the debt-free wannabe board, and take some advice on there as well.

    Good luck. I hope everything works out for you. :)
  • loftty wrote: »
    Purpose was to consolidate previous debts here and there ito one place as I was trying to get finances sorted because we wanted to start a family. But our car has nearly given up,it wouldn't start the other morning and having a baby we need something that is reliable.
    The old loan was to consolidate debt - didn't last long did it?
    TFD may think me self righteous - I think its a pretty stupid idea to be honest to be increasing your debt at this time.
    Won't your income reduce after you have had the baby?
  • TFD_2
    TFD_2 Posts: 907 Forumite
    And (if it was directed at me, TFD) I'm not being self-righteous, just trying to sound the warning bells.

    I've just seen various comments made on this site, with people being told off for spending money! Or people feeling they have to apologise for spending money.

    I don't see debt as a problem if it is managed, affordable, and ideally you have something to show for it! I understand that some people feel differently, I just don't see anybody should have to justify spending £3000 on a car - which let's face it is hardly extravagant!
  • If your husband is paying it - he should get the loan or CC.
    Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    TFD wrote: »
    I don't see debt as a problem if it is managed, affordable, and ideally you have something to show for it!
    A depreciating asset you mean?

    OP has just consolidated over £6,000 of debt...1-2 months ago
    OP is expecting a baby
    Babies are expensive!
    OP may have to give up work soon = lost income
    We're in a deep recession...and for a long time
    1000's are being made redundant weekly
    Does OP have any 'tide me over' savings?
    I just don't see anybody should have to justify spending £3000 on a car
    Not to us, I agree...but to themselves?
    let's face it is hardly extravagant!
    Depends on your circumstances. The OP's are listed above.
  • TFD_2
    TFD_2 Posts: 907 Forumite
    But surely the OP knows the facts better than you or me? We don't know what her husband earns for example.

    A car is a depreciating asset, but luckily a loan is a depreciating credit facility. If bought wisely, the loan should be paid off quicker than a car depreciates.
  • TFD_2
    TFD_2 Posts: 907 Forumite
    And TBH £3K seems like a sensible amount to spend on a car - you can pick something reliable and relatively safe for that. Spending much less than that can be false economy, and also less of a safe environment for a little un.
  • loftty_2
    loftty_2 Posts: 52 Forumite
    Thanx 4 all your help and comments. I will carefully take into consideration all of the advice and come to a decision from there.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    loftty wrote: »
    Thanx 4 all your help and comments. I will carefully take into consideration all of the advice and come to a decision from there.

    As you have only thanked those that told you what you want to hear, it seems that your mind was made up anyway.

    I hope that it works out for you, however I share YorkshireBoy's concerns, and I would take notice of what he has advised.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.