Will we now see an end??

Options
To the multi million pound sponsorship deals that the major banks have with various sports? It's a bit galling that they won't lend house purchasers and businesses money, but are perfectly happy to ensure that footballers(e.g) can afford Ferraris,Bentleys etc.Surely this form of 'advertising' has now run its course

Comments

• cvd
    cvd Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    To the multi million pound sponsorship deals that the major banks have with various sports?

Unfortunately not, or at least not in the long term. The directors of the banks get free tickets and perks from these sort of deals. The deals have never been in the interests of the institutions who have paid for the sponsorship.

The Nationwide Building Society - which is supposed to be run for its members - also sponsors football. Nobody will convince me that spending money on this year after year (as they have done for over 10 years) is cost effective.
  • Blah99
    Blah99 Posts: 486 Forumite
    Options
    Reduces tax liabilities, gives the directors some perks, no reason why it won't continue providing revenue covers it and there isn't a big outcry about it.
    Mmmm, credit crunch. Tasty.
  • withnell
    withnell Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    Options
    I just wonder when the fans will start to properly object to paying such huge amounts for match tickets!
  • I,_Brian
    I,_Brian Posts: 191 Forumite
    Options
    Quietmanc wrote: »
    To the multi million pound sponsorship deals that the major banks have with various sports? It's a bit galling that they won't lend house purchasers and businesses money, but are perfectly happy to ensure that footballers(e.g) can afford Ferraris,Bentleys etc.Surely this form of 'advertising' has now run its course

These are often multi-year deals which tie advertisers in for multiple seasons.

So a sponsorship opportunity that looked good in 2006 may not now, but still contracted for regardless.
  • Mike1989
    Mike1989 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    Quietmanc wrote: »
    To the multi million pound sponsorship deals that the major banks have with various sports?

In the current climate yes, Vodafone have already said they won't be renewing their deal with the England cricket team, and Barclays are considering their options with the premier league. So it might well come to an end or they will be reduced, or someone will take their place.
    It's a bit galling that they won't lend house purchasers and businesses money, but are perfectly happy to ensure that footballers(e.g) can afford Ferraris,Bentleys etc.Surely this form of 'advertising' has now run its course

I do agree it is annoying that they won't ensure longer periods of time in repossessions, or to lend money to people and businesses. But at the end of the day, footballers, cricketers etc are earning a living just as people working in a bank are earning one, teachers. I do admit it brings a smile to my face that I look at a teaching job and say, £25 k a year sounds good, then I notice Kaka is going to be paid £500 k a week to play for City if the deal goes through, or Ronaldo earns that money in a few hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure